Smooth Highs on Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaosMK, Mar 19, 2006.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    After using my Walnut/Bubinga Cirrus for a few weeks, Ive started to notice how the highs on it are very smooth. My last bass (Ibanez SR-885) had much more aggressive highs/upper mids. In some ways, I like the smoothed highs on the Cirrus for the aggressive B-string slapping that I do- which would come out far too harsh on my other bass- but feel like it lacks some of the punch on lower A-string notes, for example.

Are there Cirri wood combinations with more aggressive highs/upper mids? Or are the electronics the fate of this bass?
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The walnut/bubinga wood combo on the Cirrus is a bit darker than some of the other wood combos. I have a redwood/alder Cirrus, and it really has a nice upper mid range presence - very similar to the classic Ken Smith tone. The maple/alder combo has even more aggressive highs.

One other point about the Cirrus electronics...they are very usable in all of the ranges...if your not getting enough high end, don't be afraid to crank the treble knob. It won't get harsh on you, even in extreme settings.
  3. I have a Claro-Walnut 6 string. And after listening to a few guys here on TB decided to experiment more with the highs to cut through the mix more. I intially thought the highs were to harsh so I would cut them back.
    But I have alas found magic in the mix by setting my eq in a way I never thought I would.

I must agree with Vision that our models have a darker sound than the others.

My amp eq is flat.
    On the bass: Treb all the way up, mids at 1 oclock, bass 1 oclock.

I had often left the mids set flat only playing with the treb / bass. When I began to adjust the mids it changed the whole sound. The mids in fact added some punch where it was missing on the A and D strings.

Dont know if I helped any but this setup allows me a clean , cut through sound, that is smooth and growly at the same time.
  4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1...Thats exactly what I mean. When I first got my Cirrus I always played with it set flat. But as I began to experiment I found that there is an abundance of usable tones with that preamp! One other thing you can do to get a bit more upper mid/high end articulation is roll the pan knob back to the bridge pickup just a bit. Sometimes I'll do this on solos or when I just need to cut through the mix a little more...
  5. +1 on the pan knob. During alot of fingerstyle I will nudge it back just a lil. If I slap in that position it sounds thin to my ears. But then again I was wrong about how my current eq would sound.:bag: