1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smooth, musical overdrive/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GabeN, Mar 17, 2008.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I've got an MXR blowtorch but it seems way too buzzy for my needs. I'm looking for a fuzzy distortion that is kind of musical. About as smooth as a big muff but something that retains low end. Anybody have any ideas of pedals to try?

2. What about a Russian/Sovtek Big Muff? They manage to retain the lows pretty well.

-Eric

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I asked this same question a few weeks ago. I was told either the Digitech Bad Monkey (which does keep it's low end pretty well for a guitar overdrive), or to look into a blend pedal, which is what I plan on doing.

4. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    i was after the same thing but ended up trying a Boss ls-2 with just my big muff in the one chain and blending it around 50-50. Pure distortion heaven, keeps the deep lows and the creamy mids and highs which make the Big Muff so special.:hyper:

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    That's what I do too. I've also got a Bad Monkey which can go surprisingly loud in the bass end, but of course it doesn't do that rich fuzz you get from a muff.

I'm hoping to get a blend circuit built into the Muff so I can get rid of the LS-2.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get the Bad Monkey modded. :D

7. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I heard some sound clips of the Russian Muff and it sounds pretty good. I think I'll try to LS-2 with Muff route.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    DOD Bass Grunge, if you can find an original. Can cop a BMP (to the point where I sold my American reissue), but with a blend control on board.

9. Try the Malekko B:assmaster or prescription electronics depth charge. It lets you blend a clean bass signal with an octave up fuzz. It retains low end well and you can get a subtler fuzz sound if you want. I do not yet own one of these but after months of research I've narrowed my search to these two. I'm leaning towards the malekko right now. I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet.

10. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Aguilar Agro, its a little expensive. But its really great sounding.

11. Q:what sounds like a muff, but doesnt loose lows?
    A1: a muff with the tone under 11 o'clock
    A2: a muff with a clean blend

well the Little big Muff and the russian big muff get alot of love on here,and personally i think the Boss LS-2, or any blend pedal, should be mandatory in every players bag, even if they dont use it for years, there will come a day that they'll think 'hey if only that pedal didnt cut my lows' and hey presto it'll be there waiting.

also, before i continue, id just like to mention the English Muff'n tube overdrive, which is smooth and musical and you can swap out the tubes for higher gain ones, and will keep your low end really well, and hell its real tubes so responds to your picking dynamics and sounds really lush (a really subjective opinion, but maybe look into it) and i really regret selling mine.

when i got my Little Big Muff, i was aware that if you turn the tone past 11 o'clock, your low end will dissappear, which it did, but i actually found that the aggressive tone i wanted from it was with the tone upto max, but even with a clean blend from my Ls-2 it wouldnt cut through a mix and i could only tell it was on when the rest of the band cut out (unlike my blowtorch - you know what im saying- when its on, its ON) and i found that even with the tone down it didnt cut through, or was as smooth as my Boss Blues Driver.

in the end i figured that with the tone rolled down on both pedals (too keep the smoothness) i found the blues driver to sound more natural to my ears (well it IS an overdrive rather than a fuzz, and it seems to respond to playing dynamics better) AND it stuck out in a mix alot better.

personally, i thought that with the muff blended with clean tone pretty much just sounded like two separate tones, but the blues driver does sound much more natural, ie: like a bass with a warm tubey overdrive, it will get distorted, maybe not as much as a muff, but then again, with the tone lowered on a muff as much as it needs to be to retain lows, you might not really notice too much of a difference.

ill be honest, i doubt very much if the blues driver counts as any sort of fuzz, but its definitly smooth, but then again its use DOES REQUIRE A BLEND PEDAL. also the Digitech Bad Monkey tube overdrive is apparently very similar, and alot cheaper from what ive seen.

im gonna put some clips up of both my blues driver and metalzone blended with the tone from my sansamp, maybe you'll hear waht your looking for, maybe you wont.

im sorrry if this hasnt answered any of your questions, but its just stuff i've noticed with my gear. if u plan on getting a blend pedal, then that'll open your pedalboard up to the world of guitar pedals. and personally im finding that between my blues driver and my Metalzone, im pretty much covered for overdrive and distortion, and add to that my Blowtorch... well you know what its like.

12. here's the clip of my bluesdriver blended with my sansamp tone. i recorded using my LINE6 toneport GX, but i switched off the amp and cab models, and got a realistic impression of my tone, and of the blues driver.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6375201

13. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a fuzz pedal that has gobs of lows. I recorded these just to the computer soundcard. Damn intense through an amp. I tried to play a little variety of stuff, different places on neck, chords, etc... to get an idea of range.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6375659&q=hi

First 1:30 is on active, the rest is passive. This is the real wooly setting.

And in the other pedal switch position.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6375667&q=hi

First :40 is active, the rest is passive.

14. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    My self-modded Russian Muff has so much low I can't goose the tone knob all the way. Search for posts by 343 Salty Beans, involving Russian Big Muff Mod. It's just capacitor additions, plus an LED change for UBER-TONE :D

It sounds like what you're looking for. Oodles and oodles of lows (and noodles), creamy highs, LONGER THAN LONG sustain. It gets pretty synthy sounding with an envelope filter behind it, and even more synthy with some bitcrushing or careful EQ applied. It's pretty much the most-used pedal on my board at this point.

But enough with my self-glorification. Point is, methinks it's the droids you're looking for.

15. Check out the Devi Ever Aenima, very smooth fuzz and holds the low end.

The MI Audio Neo fuzz is very smooth and versatile, and probably has more range than any of the other fuzzes mentioned.

For over drive I like the Jacques Tube Blower, Sub Decay Stupid Box, and the Owen Gremlin Bass Overdrive. They will all give you a nice smooth overdrive. The Jacques has the most range into the distortion side, while the Gremlin has a blend and is switchable between band pass and notch filters so 2 flavors on the fly.

MM

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    [Waves hand in the air, in an attempt to change his mind with the Force]

:ninja:

17. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Sorry, the clip of the Supercollider already did that for me :D

18. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    That supercollider sounds pretty sweet! Any info on who makes it or a website or something?

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to just build a russian muff clone with some mods from the ground up. That supercollider thread made me think of Portal so I'm going to put all the knobs on the side and just have one big button on the top of the box and call it the "14,000 Megawatt Supercolliding Super Button".

*Edit*I messed with my Blowtorch and got a pretty nice bassy fuzz out of it. I'll probably do the russian muff project anyway for kicks.

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    True.

Gabe, try using the 750Hz setting and boosting the mids, or the 250Hz setting with cutting the mids back a bit. Don't turn the Treble past 12:00, and crank the Gain AND Blend in both cases (kick on the Torch switch as well).

20. The Blue Berry Bass OD by BJ is very smooth. I've tried a few fuzz pedals and currently own the BBOD, a few muffs, zoom Ultra Fuzz and a DOD 250. The Blue Berry is by far the smoothest and most musical IMO. It adds some serious low end to my sound too.