Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smooth neck ? What makes it ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jieshi, Nov 5, 2002.

1. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    What makes a smooth neck ??
    i have just touch a btb 405 and it felt smooth ..
    nice feel ?
    is it just the strings ?? or the fretboard ?? or the wood used ??

i would like to hear your opinions

thank you very much

2. If you're just talking about the feel of the back of the neck, I'd say the finish. If a guitar or bass neck has a nice finish on it, it'll natuarally feel smooth.

I have a six string with no finish(that I can feel) on the back of the neck, and while it doesn't feel very rough, it doesn't feel very smooth either.

If you're talking about the playing side, it could be the frets; usually the bigger they are the smoother they feel. I doubt if it's the strings, especially if they're roundwounds.

Just my thoughts.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Baby lotion. Lots and lots of baby lotion.

Oh wait, sorry, that's just my grocery list :D

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A neck size you like, a good setup, correct relief on the neck, low string height, nicely dressed frets, good feeling strings that don't "grip" your fingers when you move or slide, and a finish on the back of the neck that doesn't get "sticky", all would contribute to a smooth feeling - just plain easy to play.

5. I find high gloss finished necks are only smooth if your hands are not too moist and not too dry. Otherwise my thumb tends to stick to it. I'd like a neck with more of a wax finish, if anything. Too bad my Spector's a neck through. Maybe I should sand down the finish and then wax it up? :D:p

(I'm only half serious about that, I think it might be nice to have a natural/wax finish on a neck, though.)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Satin finished necks have the smoothest feel to me.

7. If smoothness, and speed are simalar in your books, then I have a comment.

I used to think that rosewood was a very smooth, and fast fretboard material, when compared to the slow and sticky maple fretboards, but this just isn't true to me any more. I now play a G&L with a maple fretboard, and it's faster, and smoother to me than I had ever imagined.

I think It depends on more than one factor, not to mention some guys prefer slower necks, and to them that may be considered smoother.

I also find a thinner neck to be a nicer choice for my tastes, but some people realy like the p-bass neck, and play quite smoothly on it. I love my p-bass, but the thickness of the neck is not my most desireable trait.

8. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    maple neck with clear satin laquer or polyurethane, then get some superfine steel wool and rub it a little bit in circles but not too much...just enough to make it not smooth and not rough and not sticky like clear gloss polyurethane.