1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smooth Nickel Round Wounds for Slap and R&B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Apr 25, 2015.

1. I was at GC the other day and played a used USA Fender Jazz with some really great strings.
    They were nickel round wounds with a smooth texture and really great tone. No way to ID them, though.
    I have always used Slinkys, and recently got some D'Addario XL's. Sounding kind of clanky, now, even though they are not new.
    Can anyone recommend a smooth round wound that is bright enough for slap, but mellow for R&B and good $ value?
    Not sure if there is a string that will do all this, but I'm interested in what you think.

S

2. DR Sunbeams.

christle likes this.
  3. Checked the Sunbeams, but they don't come in 50-105, which is what I've been using.
    Any others?

S

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'd ask the folks at GC what was on that Jazz.

5. Not sure how they'd know.
    The ends were brass. I'm going back down there during the week to fart around, so, I'll see if I can figure them out.
    Just had a real nice feel.
    The ones I'm using now just feel so course.

S

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    If GC didn't string it themselves, I would imagine it had Fender strings on it.

But for smooth nickel rounds, I think you'll have a tough time beating Sunbeams.

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    If they felt smooth and had gold/brass ball ends then I'd bet they were Elixir.

If you need a specific gauge custom set you can check out bassstringsonline.com

8. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I find the XL's have a lot of mids to the sound. And are almost too smooth (with my sweaty fingers) to hammer-on with a slide up the neck.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dang, you use some heavy strings! Was going to recommend trying Dunlop Super Bright Nickels but they don't come in a 50 G set either. You don't remember any ID'ing characteristics of the set on the Fender you tried, do you?

10. No, it was a texture profile. They were definitely nickel rounds, but smooth feel.
    I guess that 50-105 set is pretty stout.
    I'm thinking that 105 E string has a real dominant thump to it.
    I might try a 100 in the future.

S