1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smooth roundwounds for stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass71, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Just wondering what would be a good smooth to the touch roundwound string for my Stingray bass.
    Much appreciated.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

EBMM Super Slinkys or Hybrid Slinkys, depending on the gauge you prefer.

3. chimpbass

chimpbass

Jan 16, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Some disagree with me, but I find DR Hi-Beams to be about the smoothest stainless steel roundwounds out there. You could also try Sunbeams. They're even smoother, but the winding is nickel, meaning a less bright sound.

4. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Ill try them. Thks

5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Ken Smith Compressors are pretty happenin'. If it's a 4 string, you could look at SIT Silencers.

6. Ken Smith Compressors. they are roundwound strings that have the outer wrap flattened a bit before it goes on. they're more like oval rounds i've got them on my G&L 1505 which has a pickup in the "MusicMan" position. they sound great and they are pretty smooth while still having a roundwound sound.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1 on the Compressors.

Also, DR Sunbeams are also smooth.

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    If you're looking for regular nickel wounds:
    Dr Sunbeams are excellent sounding and smooth.
    D'Addario XL's sound almost as good and are perhaps slightly smoother.
    EB Slinkys are not as smooth as the above two, although they sound good. :)

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    +1 on the Ernie Balls, for "authentic" tone, as much as for smoothness ;).

Funnily enough, I've been playing around with different nickel strings on my pre-EB 'Ray today. These caught my eye ...

(Link)

... "half-rounds" or "ground wounds", as they were once known. Not many people make 'em now, but I'd by really keen to hear from anyone who's tried them :).

I'm sure they'll have the smoothness that you're looking for, bass71, the only question is; how will it affect the tone :meh:?

10. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta

I have a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds, tried them on four different basses and could not live with them on any. The feel is exactly what you would expect, smooth but not as smooth as flatwounds. That much I like. :)

The strings are very stiff to me, though. Think of TI Flats and these are exactly opposite, very high tension and difficult to get much nuance in technique. I also find the tone muted compared to even flatwounds. Not much pep or bite to the sound. :spit:

11. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Thanks a million danomar, you just saved me a wad of cash ;).

12. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 on DR Sunbeams.

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Ritter strings are by far the smoothest roundwounds

14. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

My hands eat strings so I use Elixirs and I love them on my Ray. The coating makes them very smooth, almost slick and I always know how it is going to sound since the strings last so long.

YMMV...

15. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    I Use DR extralife Coated. IMO the coating makes them feel extra nice plus you gotta love the colours.

16. If you don't mind Nickel strings and a warmer tone, then TI Jazz Rounds are ultra smooth for roundwounds. They use smaller windings than most roundwound strings :smug:

17. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    GHS Pressurewounds are very much like this as well. Same construction method. Less expensive, too.

18. I've heard lots of good things on the Smith compressors. Anyone try the Smith Slick Rounds for their SR?