smooth spots

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Chudweiser, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Chudweiser

Jul 5, 2002
    okay, dig this:
    allright, here's the deal. I've got this Ary German bow. First re-hair after a year was great. Second one was salt-n-pepper. Not too impressed; the hair gripped poorly. went to a different luthier for the third re-hair, white hair. Again, not too impressed. With the second and third re-hairs, I found that there was a certain "dead zone" somewhere around the first half of the bow, where the strings just wouldn't grip. Could this be my playing, or the way I apply rosin? I apply rosin in the standard method, from frog to tip. Help would be appreciated.
  2. I have the same problem sometimes. I just apply some extra rosin to the "dead zone" which for me is close to the frog. I do the whole bow several times and then just the part next to the frog. It seems to help.:)
  3. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002

My guess is that since we always start a tone at the frog we need to have a little extra rosin there. When we start at the tip it's usually to make a soft entrance, so we don't need sticky hairs.

But as I've been writing all over this web. Relax your arm and it will be so heavy that your bow will bite!!!!!