Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smooth Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joeyzaza, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Stainless Steel

52 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Nickel Plated

54 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. joeyzaza

joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    Do stainless steel strings have a smoother feel than nickel plated strings? And which do you prefer?

2. This one's a no-brainer!

Even S.S. Lo-Riders, with their compression-windings, have nothing on the smoothness of Sunbeams, or Nickel Lo-Riders, or Daddario XLs...etc

After playing S.S. Lo-Riders, my Sunbeams felt like silk.

3. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    My SS flatwounds (the $15 webstrings ones) are the smoothest I've ever felt.

4. Whoops! Forgot about flatwounds...:eyebrow:

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea flatwounds are like glass.. but sound like poop IMHO

6. I like SS but nickel are smoother.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I love the brightness and zing of roundwound stainless steel, but they always sound kind of...clacky to me. So I buy nickels.

To me, nickels sound ideal when they're about a week to 10 days old - nice and crisp and very live. And the underlying tone is warmer and more organic too...

MM

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    They all feel smooth to me...callouses do that to ya!

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    My strings get smooth over time, a couple of weeks after theyve had some sweat and have been played in.

10. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you're looking for smoothness the question isn't nickel vs. stainless, but round vs. flat, ground or compression.

That said, if you want a smooth feeling roundwound, nickel is smoother than stainless.

11. nylon tape wound have been the nicest feeling strings ive ever bought...

I really think they were designed for fretless though, but they sound quite well, and they look awesome... who else do you know that has black strings? well.. you could know lots of people.. but oh well

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Nickel is smoother.

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The fact is that string manufacturers wrap their strings in nickel in order to get a less bright, smoother sound, and smoother feel.

So by default, a nickel ROUNDWOUND is smoother than a stainless steel ROUNDWOUND.

Flats are completely different. I don't know of any nickel flats.

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I like the sound of steel strings better but I have been using nickel strings lately because they are easier on my fingers and hands. I have a real bad dry skin problem on my hands and the steel just aggravate it. Nickel strings are softer and smother feeling steel are harder and more abrasive.