Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smoothest, deepest sounding 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Dec 6, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    Can anybody suggest a 4x10 with deep, warm lows? I've tried the eden 410xlt and didn't like it very much. I don't slap and would prefer an old school sounding cabinet. 2x12's interest me but i'm afraid they might not be loud enough for some situations.

thanks,

steve

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I've played through mesa 4x10" once, and was amazed how deep and clear it sounded, going through mix like never before, so can anyone tell me, what did I heard? Low end or low mids? Don't laugh 'cause I didn't hear many 4x10" cabs.

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Acme!

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK RBH 4-10, you'd be surprised.The new one goes down to 31hz.Very warm sounding to my ears.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Acme

so deeeeep!!!

Alex

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Aguilar GS410 has huge sounding lows, with a wonderful clarity. Great cab! Though, the Eden 410XST has deep lows too.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Hmmmm...clarity vs warm. It seems to me that to get more of one you have to give up some of the other. Eden is a good case in point The D410XLT, to my ears, is a "warmer" cab than the XST. Conversely the XST has more "clarity". Go figure!

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    want to save a lotta bucks and go low?

Peavey! I can only speak for the older 410TX(rear-ported), but it gets really low, I think it's tuned to around 32hz. I did the mid-modification on mine and it's not as scooped sounding as before. I love the cab but I'm selling it locally(it's abount 90-95lbs) to buy a 112 and 115. I've been bitten by the Avatar bug!
    K

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Low and smooth? IMO, best bet is the Aguilar GS410. I have one, and it covers both rock and jazz gigs excellently (is "excellently" even a word?).

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    thanks for the suggestions everyone. i think i'll pass on the acme's - too power hungry. the aguilar looks like one i should test out. has anyone tried the older, rear ported swr goliaths or the eden 410t? are these any smoother than the front ported cabs? i don't know, i used to own a 410xlt and thought it sounded kind of harsh.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A year ago or so I auditioned a bunch of 4x10 cabs, including sWR, Eden (XLT), GenzBenz, Ampeg, Aguilar, Peavey. Bass and amp remained the same throughout the process. The Aguilar 4x10 provided the biggest lows under those particular test conditions.

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    ampeg 410 HLF thing....

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you my friend sound like you need an Aguilar 2x12!

deep low warm, yet still punchie.

14. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Pre EB and Alexclaber, you are striking matches too close to my pilot light! My GAS will ignite. I already have one Low B2. Must I get another?