1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Smoothest feel" btwn Fender 7250, LoRider nickels, Sadowsky nickels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Looking for high-tension nickel rounds that don't feel rough. Normally I use flats, partly because I like the smooth feel; so which of these (or another make/model) would you recommend?
    Thx!

2. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I have used the Fender 7250 45 -105 on all of my basses and they are have a smooth feel, pickup any new US Fender in a store and you can try them. They have a balanced sound but I would say they are a medium tension. (High tension to me is Rotosund stainless) I tried the DR Nickel Sunbeams maybe a little smoother and slightly more tension ?..but I didn't really like them something was missing. I recently installed DR HI Beam Stainless on my 08 Fender Jazz and I think I will be switching to these...a little nicer to play than the Fender nickels and really opened up the sound the best on that bass. The Fender nickels are still my favorite nickel. Oh and I tried the nickel plated GHS Boomers..nothing special.

3. +1 for the Fender 7250's 45-105. I had them last on my Pbass and they sounded great. Very nice mids and sounded great recorded. I would say they are about medium tension.

I'm trying SIT nickels next 45-105. I'll have to tell u how I like those. I know they will be pretty close to the Fenders 7250 (hex core, nickel plating). Actually I got to visit the factory and watch them makes strings. It was pretty cool.

-Jon

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks guys. I had read someone else's posts saying the 7250's were high tension, so that's where I got that idea. I am looking for "higher than medium" :) tension. Any other suggestions? (Again with the caveat that I want a smooth surface.)

5. Erinies feel pretty smooth to my hands but I'm a roundwound player, 110s are nice and tight feeling and sounding, but very deep, don't have too much of and edge too them either but plenty of roundwound growl. Nice balance of tension too, tight but playable for me personally.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Bump!

7. Just realised I missed the 3 choices you listed in the title of your thread, whoops.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    S.I.T. Silencers are very smooth and directly in between Flats and Rounds.

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I haven't tried the Sadowsky; Fender is smoother than DR to me, but I like the tone and tension of DR better.