Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smoothest Playing Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ever pick up a bass that just plays like butter? A bass that makes you say "Wow" out loud. I had that experience when I picked up my G&L L2000, then I plugged it in and it was all over.:)

So, I'm toying with the idea of getting a new bass...but I'm not really sure which direction I want to go in. There's so many sweet ones out there. All I know at this point is I want a bass thats a pleasure to play.:bassist:

I was going to make a poll...but then I realized this is very subjective. What bass/basses do you guys/gals feel are the smoothest and nicest playing?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i recently played one of the new fender jazz bass 24s, and it played like butta!!! not to mention it had a great tone. those basses are really great. i bet those bassline pickups had alot to do with it, but you know.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

I'm with Major. I suggest trying the bass you want first. 5 basses from the same maker arent always created equal. Its gotta feel special in your hands

Rob

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    DeArmond Ashbory bass. Plays like rubber.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    So true...Maybe It's about time to take a trip down to NYC and try out a few Sadowsky's. I better save some $$ for that trip though.:help:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Go For It , expirence the magic ! :bassist:

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cash? No way. Just bring a credit card and worry about it later

LOL

Rob

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I remember having a similar experience with a Lakland. I believe it was a 4-94...but I didn't get to spend too much time with it. It was (and still kinda is) way out of my price range...but there's always exceptions to that rule. And credit cards.;)

10. DRZ400Bassman

DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    Anything with a Pedulla or Ibanez SR 4 neck and you have ergonomics from GOD!

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    butta-butter. get it.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My G&L as well. :D

13. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I really love my Sadowsky. The best neck I've tried so far.

14. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

For me and my hands, with what I've tried so far, it's a G&L with #6 or #8 satin finished neck (I haven't had the pleasure of trying all the boutique options out there).

If you really like the feel of your G&L why not go for another one? I've found the modern G&Ls to be pretty darn consistent (I've liked pretty much all of them). You could go for a JB-2, SB-2 or L-1500 to get a different pickup config and set of tonal options. And regardless of what neck profile yours is, you can get that on any bass model (unless you have an older one with 1-5/8" nut width).

15. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Pretty much every Warwick ive ever taken off the rack and tried out has had fantastic action/playability.

16. Warwick FNA Jazzman 5ver fretless. Played it; Gassed for it; ordered it; Paid for it! Played it more and more!!!:bassist: (Of course having it set up just right helps a lot!;) )

17. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    If you want to talk about a smooth playing bass in a more literal sense, an Original Ashbory is hard to beat. With a little bit of talc on your fingertips, it's the smoothest bass I've ever played.

And on top of that, if in the right hands an Ashbory --> a tube amp can have the smoothest bass sound I have ever heard as well. A great tone, full of gooey warmth and depth.

18. While I don't yet own a Sadowsky, I must give them a nod for outstanding playability. The one's I have played have always been super-smooth. My final vote goes to Fodera, though only because of a six-string I found a while ago. Another nod would have to go to Ken Smith. The Fodera that I found two years ago surpasses what I have ever experienced in a bass both sound-wise and playing-wise. I don't know what they did to this one but it is just effortless! That was the first thing I noticed when I first picked it up (I found it used). I suspect the narrower, banjo-size fretwire may be a big part of the magic. The Fodera has a very wide neck so that takes some getting used to. You're right, it's a very subjective topic so just keep looking for those ones that make you say, "WOW" out loud and I think you'll do just fine. ;)

P.S. PM me if you're interested in trying out either the Fodera or the Smith!

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The smoothest playing bass I have ever played is an old Fender Jazz. I think the year was like 67 or 60-something. Man, that was smooth.

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    * F Bass
    * Sadowsky
    * Zon
    * Valenti