smoothing rough edges on fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wideyes, Feb 18, 2010.

1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I have an SX fretless :)o) with rather sharp fingerboard edges. Can anybody suggest a good method for smoothing them out, or point me to a thread/sticky with some info? (I did search, but not exhaustively). I thought about just sanding them down (doesn't have to be a really polished job), but then I'm not sure how to treat the exposed wood after that. Would it be fine? What are my options?

Thanks for the help!

2. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Sand them with 320 through 600 then use Danish oil on the exposed wood...t

3. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Three different ways! Cool, good to know I have options. Thanks for the suggestion of the danish oil, tjclem. That's what I was wondering about.

... and sorry if you get this question all the time :rolleyes:

4. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    no worries mate

5. Here's technique #4, posted by Unity Bass in the latest Show Your Stambaugh thread...

5sg.

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    What kind of wood is the FB?

If it's maple, there will be some finish on it. If rosewood, you can just oil the board

7. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Good question

8. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    That is a good question. It's rosewood, and doesn't look heavily treated. Is the danish oil still the best treatment in this case?

9. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    You may not need it lemon oil may work fine

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm not a luthier, so no pro advice coming this way, but ...

I have dealt with this many times. I:

- Tape up the side I'm sanding

- Use coarse to fine sanding pads [3M]

- Then I'm usually done right there. If I really need finish, I simply wipe on the minwax wipe on stuff.

11. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, seems like rosewood may not need as much "babying"... Lemon oil sounds good, and less labor intensive than danish oil. Besides, then my bass'd be lemony fresh!

12. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
  13. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I've thought about rolling it, but it seemed to be a bit of a lengthy process. Any good guides to recommend?

14. I'm not a luthier either, but the last time I got a bass with rough fret ends and a sharp edge, I just carried an emory (sp?) board in my gig bag - the kind you use to polish finger nails. Whenever I thought about it, I just worked on it a little. After a few months, it was fine.

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I have a pricey fretless I'd like to do this on because the edges are uncomfortable to me. Is there a really safe way of doing this?

16. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    I had this problem on my SX 5 string Jazz fretless. A few passes with some 320 grit sandpaper was enough to knock the sharp angle off, a little lemon oil, and presto - fixed. It wasn't brain surgery.

17. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021