Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smoothly changing handpositions...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I always get this annoying noise because my hand/fingers are sliding over the strings...

Any ideas how to do it smooth.?

I've tried doing a jump with my hand but the note i previously play will suffer because it wont ring out for full time...

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There's a host of different techniques related to getting smooth shifts. The most basic involves planning ahead and the use of positions, for example: if your going from a low C on the A string(3rd fret) to a high G on the G string(12th fret) rather than playing the low C on the A string play it on the 8th fret on the E string. This way the distance of the shift will be shorter and thus easier. It should be noted that this is one of the reasons that players use 5 and 6 string basses, it's much easier to jump into different ranges without having to make huge shifts up and down the neck.
    Other techniques involve the use of little tricks, like using open strings when possible and appropriate, and also, if you take my first example, the harmonic on the 12th fret sounds the same note as the fingered example, so if you wanted that note to ring-out you could hit the harmonic "G" at the 12th fret and be free to shift while the note was still ringing. The harmonic will sound a bit "lighter" than the fingered note, however.
    The biggest thing is hand position, muscle memory and dexterity. Fast shifts can be made easier and cleaner with practice. Muting with the right hand also comes into play here. Flat wound strings also can be a benefit for some. The best advise here is to practice slowly, quality is better than quantity!