1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smoth and warmsounding nickel strings with TIGHT tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm looking for smoth and warmsounding nickel strings with TIGHT tension that fits 35" scale.

preferably 045-105.

I use to detune a whole step DGCF and I use to use DR Sunbeams or Daddario XL strings but the neck on my 35" bass is so straight/rigid so that the nighter theDRs nor the Daddarios (both 045-105) wont manage to give enough relief on the neck though I've loosen the trusrod all the way.

Suggestions?

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I believe that lo riders might do the trick. I have sunbeams on my Grendel 5 and Nickel LoRiders on my T-40. The tight strings allow me to get a very low action on the Peavey. I believe that most post concerning the LoRiders state that this string has much more tension then the Sunbeams.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for your advice.

What do you think about the Nickel LoRiders compared to Sunbeams, sound,balance and feel/playability wise ?

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i might suggest Fender 7250 nickels, very nice tone & feel, also ALOT cheaper than the DR's.
    i normally pretty much play DR's exclusively on all my basses, Fat Beams, Lo Riders, Hi Beams,, but i just picked up a new bass that had the Fender 7250's on it,, & i'm totally loving the tone of the Fenders.
    probably not spend my money on the DR's in the future

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    DR Lorider Nickels are pretty high tension. So are sadowsky nickels. You might even like Dr Sunbeams.

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

Thanks but I think Fender 7250 is to short for my 35" scale bass.

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

Thanks.

Have to check out the Sadowsky nickels.

I allready use (and like ) DR Sunbeams but they are'nt tight enough(as I said abowe ;-) )

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Lo Riders and Sadowsky nickels are the tightest feeling I have come across that fit your criteria. La Bella Hard Rocking Steels are very close as well.

Sunbeams are lower in tension because they are round core. You are looking for hex core.

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I found a big bass string test in BassPlayer march 1996 issue.

Verry informative

They list some (045-105) nickels (or NPS) with tight tension and 35" scale fit :

Alembic "CX-3"

D'Angelico "SmoothroundBass Hits"

Dean Markley "Solid Bass"

Ernie Ball "Hybrid Slinky NPS"

GHS "Boomers"

Ken Smith "Compressors"

SIT "Power Wound"

Anyone who has experience from these string brands/models?

I've looked at DR LoRiders specs. but it seems like LoRiders Nickel got the same "medium" tension as DR Sunbeams ?

DR LoRiders SS (Stainless Steal) seems to have tighter tension, Though.