smp question bass/keyboard content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocks, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Hi, Can I use one amp to run my bass and keyboard plugging into both inputs? My bass is active so it would go in that channel and the keyboard in the normal channel. Is this ok to do?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It would be a much better idea to use a good AB switch for the 2 instruments. I play mostly synth these days, and use a 3 in 2 out box by Lehle, so 2 synthesizers, plus my bass, all through one bass rig. Can only play any one instrument at a time, but it allows you to sound better, and have your volumes match.

3. I run a passive Fender J and a Nord Electro into a Hartke LH500 which has two inputs. The bass goes in the passive and the keys into the active input, as the keyboard has a much hotter output and has more onboard gain than the bass. Works very well for my situation. I normally switch between the two depending on the song, but I am also part of the host band for a jam night which allows both instruments to run through my amp at the same time.

4. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Thanks, I'll try it that way. If the active bass is pushing to much gain in the normal input I'll just dial back the basses volume control.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021