Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SMS Harvey Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    This is my new SMS Harvey Combo amp.

290 watts into an 8 ohm 210 cab.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    looks pretty cool. is there a website for these amps?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    He's too modest to say that he built this himself!

Sondogue, it looks beautiful. How is the cabinet finished? It looks like stain and varnish...almost too pretty to take anywhere.

Awesome work! :hyper:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, I hope you have a case [soft or hard] to protect that thing!! I'd be afraid to move it much less gig it in some crappy club where some idiot would spill a drink on it or put out a cigarette on it! That's nice looking though. Can you take a better pic of it?

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks.

I used "Bombay Mahogany" stain/polyurethane, and then finished it off with four coats of gloss polyurethane. It's a really deep, dark reddish brown.

I still have to add the protective corners, a handle on top and the wheels at the bottom, in back.

I've played through it at low volume for a few minutes last night (way too late to crank it with the kids in bed). But it has a very nice hi-fi sound to it.

I still need to really see what this will sound like at max volume. My specs have it tuned to 35Hz, though I haven't confirmed that yet. The port is removable and I can cut it down yet if need be to further tune it. Even if it is anywhere around 35 to 40 Hz, I'll be happy with it.

I'm not too afraid to take it anywhere. I only play once a month locally, and I haul it in my car, so it will be babied.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I plan on taking better pics of it when I get it out of my shop in the basement and into some better light upstairs.

And I'm not too worried about anyone spilling a drink, or putting out a cigarette, on it. No on ever gets that close to our gear onstage. Even if they did, it'd be the last thing they ever did. ;)

I've played in some pretty rowdy bars in my life, but most of the places we play at now are better joints. Since we only play once a month, and we don't do it for a living anymore, we're more selective of where we play.

I originally thought of using the standard carpeting on it, but I wanted to make it something nice to look at, as well as play through. Were I still playing full time and hauling it all over the place, I would've covered it in something more durable.

My main idea was to cut down my 100 lb. 410 TVX and make something lighter and more manageable. I haven't weighed it, but from picking it up, it's lighter (even with the amp) than the 410 and it is certainly smaller. With the angled back at the top and bottom, it goes in my car easily.

I still plan on making another 210 cab using the other two speakers, so I'll have another 210 8 ohm extension cab for larger gigs. But we don't play very loud and I mike my cab and go through our PA and the guitar player and I work the sound, so it's all in my control.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    that Hartke link says its 220 watts into 8 ohms? Is this a misprint?

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    To be honest with you, I'm not sure how much it actually puts out, in some literature it even lists 200 watts into 8 ohms.

On the back of the amp, at the speaker outs, it's printed 400 watts - 4 ohms / 290 watts - 8 ohms.

Somewhere between 200 and 290 watts I guess. I know it's rated at 400 watts into 4 ohms. I also know that at 8 ohms it's more than half the wattage, but I can't recall the formula for it, so I don't know off the top of my head.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I finally got a chance to play through my new combo at much louder volumes.

While I still feel I'll need an extension cab for bigger gigs, it is quite loud. I had to adjust my port, but I got it tuned to just about 38-40Hz.

I had the entire inside lined with acoustic foam (not stuffed, but the walls were lined with it). I messed around with that and took out all but the foam on the back and top. I had too much in there and it colored my sound. Almost muffled it too much I guess. So experimenting with that and the port tube length gave me a perfect sounding cab.

It sounds great! It gives me a very tight sound. It almost sounds like a sealed cab. Very punchy and it seems to have much better defined low end than my 410. Granted it doesn't get as loud as my 410, what with it having only 2 of the 10" speakers and running at 8 ohms (which cut my amp power about in half).

Once I get the matching 8 ohm 210 extension cab built from the remaining 2 10's, it will give me 4 10's again at the full rated 400 watts. Only then I will have two lighter, more manageable, 210 cabs that are tuned lower than my 410 was.

It was very easy to make. It took me only 4 hours on a Saturday and Sunday to build it. But I took my time over the course of two weeks finishing it (with the sanding and finishing and of course experimenting with the tuning). I wouldn't say it was easy for anyone else to do unless you already have the tools and woodworking experience. But it was definitely a worthwhile experience for me. I like building things and since I already had alot of the materials lying around the whole project only cost me about $50. I would say if I built it from scratch (buying all the material and including speakers which I took out of a Peavey 410TVX) it would have cost me about $100. But even at $100, I could have loaded it with Eminence 2510's for another $200.

Thanks to all the guys who helped me design it and answered all my questions (bgavin, billyb, etc.).