SMS Harvey Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I made my own combo using my Hartke HA4000 amphead and I took the speakers out of my Peavey 410TVX and made a 210 combo with them.

This past weekend was the first chance I had to play out live with it. I had gigs on Friday and Saturday night. Two completely different rooms.

Friday night we played a private party, in a great room acoustically. Carpeted floor with a removable dance floor. Acoustic tiles in the a ceiling that was the perfect height. The combo sounded great and I scarcely had to have the volume past 2. The combo delivered a beautifully punchy, clean tone.

On Saturday, we played in a large room (about the largest we play) with terrible acoustics. A hard floor and a very high ceiling, with dimensions that make it a horribly boomy room for low end. I've played this room many times with different amps/cabs and I could never get a good sound playing there. On stage there, I normally need to turn up quite a bit and cut almost all the low end out my rig and exaggerate the low-mids.

Well, my combo delivered there too. I could get a really nice tone...punchy and clean, with lows that had enough definition without getting boomy. Again, I only needed to turn up my amp to about 4. I could have gone quite a lot further volume-wise, but I didn't need to.

Funny thing is, this little combo seems louder and brighter, and handles the lows better than when I used the same head with the 410 cab.

My main reason for designing this combo was to get away from having to haul around my 410 cab. I needed something lighter and smaller to easily get in and out of my car, without spending much money.

I made a 210 extension cab using the other two 10's out of my 410 cab for bigger gigs, but I can't imagine even needing it as Saturday night's gig is about as loud as we ever get.

All in all, for building it myself (along with the help of some fellow talkbassers here, some freeware cab design software, alot of reading and planning...and being handy with woodworking and already having most of the material lying around), I really came out with a beautiful, cheap, easy to haul combo for myself.

It sounded great in my home, but the real test came playing it out live and it not only past with flying colors, it's the best little rig I've ever owned (including an Eden Metro and a BAM210).

Sometimes a lot of thought, hard work, some luck and a small bit of cash can really pay off.

Thanks again to all who answered my questions when I was designing this!
  2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    You did a really nice job with that. That is really nice. Good looking amp.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks. I would have been happy if it sounded great even if it didn't look too hot. The sound is more important.

But it looks as good as it sounds! I don't gig that often and I haul it myself in my car, so I'm not worried about it having a tough, durable covering.