Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snagged an SWR IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I was able to A-B several preamps (new and used) at one of our local shops. The candidates included:

SVP Pro
    SVP CL
    BBE Max
    Sansamp RBI
    SWR IOD

I already own an RBI but threw it into the mix for some degree of reference. The SVP CL sounded really nice but its sister SVP Pro was a little dark with buttloads of background noise. The BBE Max was nice and definitely a budget contender but, overall, lacked in fullness and presence. The IOD was my favorite by far and gave the widest variance in tone without tweaking the EQ. Manipulation of the drive, blend, and phase controls brings out the real character.

Just my two cents. FWIW, I'm holding onto the RBI. Its still a great SS preamp.

Riis

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have the RBI, IOD, and SVP-Pro (my SVP happens to be very quiet). I'm keeping 'em all because each is cool in its own way. The IOD can get the dirtiest, but can do any flavor of dirt. The RBI's presence control gives it a special kind of bite. The SVP-Pro has the most versatile EQ even without the 9-band graphic (that I don't use), and can get really dirty itself when Gain and Drive are cranked.

I've been using the IOD the most lately. It's got a nice rich creamy growl that goes nicely with my Bergantino NV610. :bassist:

3. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Way too cool! I haven't plugged the IOD into my rig (Crest CA-6 / Acme B-4) yet but I'm sure she'll light things up. I'm not sure why the two SVP-Pro's I've played were noisy; maybe I'm not that familar with the traditional Ampeg vibe.

Riis

4. i've been curious about the IOD, but the funny thing is that i want to check it out because its model gets a great clean tone on my johnson j-station. do you guys ever use it clean?

robb.

5. Fuzzbass

I usually dial in some dirt, but I think it sounds great clean. I believe Bruce Gavin runs his clean.

6. Fuzzbass

You're not alone, others have reported noise issues with the SVP-Pro. Mine was retubed by its previous owner, perhaps that's why it's quiet...

Anyway: I think you'll really enjoy your IOD/CA-6/B-4 rig... I'm looking forward to your review once you fire it up! In the meantime, maybe you can try something I haven't: namely, the speaker output on the IOD. :)

7. does it have really full lows? it is noticeable among the models in the j-station for having really nice, full, fat lows without being muddy. though it does help to compress the really low end.

robb.

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, that was one of the selling points. The lows and low-mids were well defined, more so than the SVP-Pro, even when being mildly overdriven. It does sound somewhat compressed as you described.

Riis