Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

snake advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by millard, Jun 30, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Anyone have good advice for choosing a snake? Do you really need to spend as much money as you can possibly afford on one (which is the typical cable company advice)?

Any particular brands that represent a better than average value? If you can't tell, I'm buying PA gear for the band, mostly with my own money.

Thanks...Millard

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    For the most part, you get what you pay for! If it where me I would get a used one.

3. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    Philosophically speaking - You never HAVE to "spend as much as you can possibly afford" on anything. But it pays off to buy good, dependable gear, of course. I always try to stay a few levels off the bottom of the barrel, especially when buying something as mundane and utilitarian as a snake. Now, a new bass - that's a different story!

Practically speaking - Check out Audiopyle. www.audiopile.net Their products seem to offer the best bang for the buck these days. I just got a patch snake from them, along with a load of speaker and mic cables. Good, fast service. Audiopyle has a very good reputation in the live sound community - check out the prosoundweb forums, or maybe even Harmony Central.

Have fun...

"Chicks dig guys with nice mixer cases"

Bob

4. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Dang! I went and bought a used SKB case that looks like it went on tour in a gravel pit. :meh:

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, Mark has a good rep for sure. I've used his reel snakes, they're pretty decent. One thing you want to look at hard is the strain relief going into the stage box. The all-plastic molded ones can let the cable shift too much, and eventually you can see problems from that. The wire style like the one here: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/PSPX-16-4/PSPX-16-4_cutsheet.asp
    tends to be more reliable.

I have a lightly used 100 foot, 20 channel snake with the scary style plastic strain relief. It's worked OK for me. PM me if you want to talk about a deal (edit: looks like we're on track for a deal). I'm trying to get out of the sound provider business completely. Happily, that's 'cause I have too many gigs playing bass these days. :bassist: