1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Snakewood

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by evan_phi, Apr 21, 2006.

1. I found a great deal on a Snakewood german bow, and I was wondering what the pros and cons were of using snakewood.

sure, it looks cool... but what else?

thanks,

Evan

2. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    I use an E. Wilfer Snakewood german style bow. Snakewood is an alternative to pernambuco. When I shopping for a professional level bow ($2000+) I went with snakewood for several reasons.

For me personally, snakewood was most appealing, because:
    Heavier weight than pernambuco: Most german bows weigh 132-138 grams. My snakewood bow weighs 156 grams. I had played on a Carbow before and after using it for a long time, I knew I would like a heavier bow.

Snakewood projects sound: Snakewood is known for it's loud projecting sound. (So is Pernambuco) I found this to be very important, because as a bassist in orchestra or soloing, the louder you can play the better. (not always the case, but sometimes)

I suppose if there are any cons, some people don't like the weight of the snakewood bows. I did notice a difference when I switched, but I quickly got use to it.

3. thats the thing,

i like a heavier bow. :D

thanks for the input.

4. thumpybones

thumpybones

May 22, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I borrowed a friend's snakewood (Fr) bow for a session last night. I loved it. I am going to buy one. (Anyone selling one?) The tone was focused, compact and warm. And I currently play a VERY expensive PW Bryant.