Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SNAP SNAP SNAP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BringtheNoize, Feb 14, 2006.

1. BringtheNoize

BringtheNoize

Feb 14, 2006
    I have an intermittent electronics problem. I'm playing a Peavey Cirrus 5, which I've had for about 7 or 8 years. Has anybody ever had a "snapping" sound ever coming out of their pickups? Some gigs I plug in, and it starts making that snapping sound. I've noticed it usually does it more when I'm moving around. If I stand still its not so bad. NO ITS NOT THE INPUT JACK. Some gigs, no problems at all. Even in my basement when I'm practicing. There's no such things as "sometimes"... Some days it does it all the time, and some days it does nothing at all. I"ve tried cables, and I've tried new batteries. Anybody?

2. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    You ever try sheilding your bass? I did and it stopped a loud snap/pop sound when I touched my strings. I think it might have been interference because mine was also random.

HTH

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

there's been like 4 complaints of this kind of thing in the last couple months that I'm aware of. May be a hard find but you might take a stab at a search cause it may have you answer in the end.

Never had anything like that myself short of occassional bad connections using wirenuts for temporary installs, and that's all it was.

4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Some common pots use rivets to mount the connection lugs to the pot circuit board which can short to the cavity shielding with a little movement. This can be hard to detect because it happens on the top side of the pot. Keeping the pots tight so it can not rock might help but removing the pot then installing an insulator over the rivets or using a plastic washer would be better.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You can run into the same kind of thing with standard pots. I tape a piece of electrical tape and stick it underneath each row of pot lugs and on any wall where a hot lead to a pup could possibly touch.

Shielded cavities are ideal for shorts.