1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Snap.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by project_c, Mar 28, 2015.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I was playing through a huge Ashdown combo during a rehearsal last night, and was surprised to find that no matter how much I played with settings and how I eq'd it, I could not get it to create that satisfying 'snap' that an SVT does so effortlessly when you dig in. Even smaller Ampeg combos are capable of doing this really well, and I've noticed that this has become part of my playing style, and I miss it when it's not there. I have an old Trace combo which can also do this really well. Does anyone know what gives some amps more 'snap' than others? is it just a tweeter, or is there more to it?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well since a lot of Ampegs don't have tweeters in the cabs, probably not ;) I think it's just really knowing how to voice gear and achieve their goals. Not sure of the exact ingredient that makes them snap but snap they will.

3. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Yeah, on second thought I don't think my old Trace combo has a tweeter either, so it has to be something else. My Fender Bassman TV struggles with this too, it has a wonderful tone but it's very reluctant to 'snap', it prefers to go into light distortion instead, which is not the same thing at all..

4. It is probably the extra mid and upper mid from the Baxandal eq section. The Fender style tone stacks are pretty scooped and take away that snappy mid response.

SandCBass likes this.