1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

snapping alot of strings at the bridge, any help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bettyrocker23, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Bettyrocker23

Bettyrocker23

Jun 8, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Hey, I play an ibanez SR400. Its in drop c, and I used to use heavey gauge strings (50-110), and I snapped about 4-5 E strings. It was always at the bridge on the saddle were they would snap though. I got tired of spending 25 bucks to replace the whole set, and threw on some of my old light HiBeams (40-100). that was bout 2 months ago, and I havent snapped any strings...now this just popped into my head, could my saddles not be filed for thicker gauge? or does it now even work like that? could the thicker strings not be sitting in the saddles right, and be rubbing wrong?

Any ideas, solutions? thanks

2. My Basass II was snapping strings fairly often so I used an old set of round wounds to file the slots out a little more. New bridges often have sharp edges on them. Your idea about smaller slots could be right too. Again, try using old strings to file it out a little.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +200. My ibanez was the only bass i broke strings on and this is not the first time i've head of them having sharp metal snags on the saddles.

Badass bridges will have this problem if not properly grooved. Your problem is the bridge. Look for a replacement or get a new bass. This also might be covered by Ibanez.

4. evil b

evil b

Jun 21, 2007
    Had this problem myself on a Yamaha Bass. Couldn't figure it out. A luthier friend actually determined that my bridge was actually in the wrong place. The above suggestions are definitely on the money. But just in case. Have it looked at. I found out it is not uncommon for this to be an issue.

5. Bettyrocker23

Bettyrocker23

Jun 8, 2007
    Chico, CA
    yeah, thanks guys

I think it might be the saddle isnt filed right, cause with lighter gauge strings, I play even harder, dig in even more and I dont break strings. I will take some of my older heavey strings and file like you said

6. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    when i've had this problem in the past on guitar saddles, i've used a small rod file (available in sets from hardware stores for about £3/ $6/7

These'll get the job done a lot quicker and more efficiently than a used string will (you usually find aswell that the sharp bit is pretty obvious too, and can be easily taken off in a few swipes)