Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snapping sound during solo practice-amp problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 23, 2006.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Today while I was practicing I heard a snapping sound like someone popped one of those plastic packaging bubbles. Don't know if it came from my amp or what but that's where I assume it came from (unless my wife who was upstairs was popping packaging bubbles). I play an Eden 800 and a Schroeder 1212. I was using a passive bass. It was about 10 Pm so I was playing at low volumes. Just wondering if this is anything to be concerned about. I bought my amp used a year ago and I think it came to me with used tubes. Never changed the tubes and I have no idea how much life they have or how long they last (it is a two-tube preamp, solid state poweramp.)

Should I get the amp checked out tomorrow? Just 'cause we have a show on Tuesday night...

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    is there alot of static in your house? while using an eden wt300 I had more "popping" than usual. maybe has something to do with the tube preamp?

try some anti-static spray on your carpets where you practice.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hey Napoleon!

I took it in and had it checked out by a tech at the local guitar store yesterday. He and the salesguy both tested it separately. They cranked the gain and master both all the way up and listened to the amp. The tech told me it sounded quiet. He said to listen for wooshing or crackling noises which could be an indication of a pre-amp tube starting to go but he said I would definitely notice if that were the case. He said usually pre-amp tubes last a pretty long time and I would definitely notice if that were the problem. He said it could have been static on the pickguard or something in the house, etc. I'm not worried, just wanted to get a professional opinion since I bought it used and it is an 03 model... so that's why I took it in.. plus we have a show tonight

Thanks
    -Tim

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I like your sleeves

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    That could have been switching noise on the AC line in your house.