Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

snapping sound from pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist66, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I think this is the place to put this. Anyways, here goes. Lately, my neck pickup on my MIA jazz bass gets a snappy electronic sound (kind of like when you unplug your bass without turning your amp off kind of sound) when i start digging in, especially when i do slap and pop and when i dig in fingerstyle. This has never seemed to happen before. When i put my bridge pickup on full, it goes away, so it only seems to be the neck pup. I'm not sure what this sound is or why it happens, so if anybody has any advice/experience, it would be much appreciated.

2. Sounds like it could be a loose wire undeneath the pickup, especially since you say that it happens when you start digging in. Try a different amp, cord and unplug any effects first and see if the problem goes away. Hope this helps!
    Ed

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sure that you're not digging in TOO much and having the string hit off of the pole pieces? If it's only when you dig in, that'd be my guess.

-Ray

4. either relax your action (because aside from blisters you won't really get much more out of it for the effort) or drop your pickups down lower.

5. yeah i dont really even hit it that hard, i even watch myself just technique wise, and theres no way i hit it hard enough to hit the pole pieces. i found that when i disconnect my morley bass wah that it seems to go away...i have no idea why this would be, but it works. if it is the bass wah after all, i dont really understand why it only effects the neck pup and not the bridge. it's not that huge of a problem i guess, it only happens a little bit, but it got me worried that my pups were messed up. ill guess ill keep messing around with it and see.

6. ah, well it could be that the bass is overloading the Morley and producing clipping, which sometimes sounds like a click or a pop.

7. yeah its either that or this new 6 inch cable i bought. either way, i'm glad its not the bass itself.