Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snapping Turtles as Pets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 24, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Ok, I already did a thread about cichlids and was surprised at the lack of responses. This should probably get fewer. When i was still married, maybe about 3 or 4 years ago my wife comes home with a little turtle she "rescued" by taking it off of the road between two lakes used by the water co. She said she didn't put it on one side or the other becasue she was afraid something on one of the lakes would eat it. It sure was little, maybe 3 inches long or so. Taking one look at it i ask her, "ummm.........honey, you know what kind of turtle this is?" She didn't and begged me to put in the 1500 gallon pond i had to house fish in the summer. Against my better judgment i did and never saw him again until i drained the pond in september and found a "moving rock". Since then I went on the net and found plenty of husbandry info. Today "Simon" lives in a 50 gallon tank which he is steadily outgrowing. Great pet. So far he hasn't taken a finger off, but not from a lack of trying. :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Did your parents have any other children that lived?

;)

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Careful, I'll stick him in your gig bag.......... :p

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    feeding time..............
    [​IMG]

5. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Those look like some sharp nails/talons/claws... :eek:

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Awsome... i want one.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow :eek: , I'm so getting one of those!

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw a couple of massive snappers in a little creek when I was playing disc golf one day. Luckily they didn't eat my disc. They were probably 2.5 feet from head to tail...maybe more..I suck at estimating.

brad cook

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Was that mouse alive?

I want video!

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope.........frozen and then thawed....i still havent gotten used to the idea of placing a live mouse in a tank full of water to be eaten, (snappers are aquatic). I do have play by play photos of that session though. :p

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That is a dangerous pet. I find it amusing that the lake all the Woodstock-goers got naked in was supposedly full of those creatures. We should breed immense versions of those and ride them into war.

12. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I know your not stupid but, bieng that your posting here, your a bass player, That is a snapping turtle. Reptiles are cool pets and all but the thing with that type of animal in general is that it is not a father/son relationship you get with a cat or dog. It is more like a nurse/elderly person type relationship, yea your taking care of him but if you don't respect him he'll let you know. An he wouldn't have any problem taking your ability to play bass, which you've been doing for how long,away in less than 2 seconds. I would call the nearest zoo and hand him over. Keep your hands and face atleast 3 feet away from any direction of the front of the shell, that head is alot more flexible and fast and accurate than you think.

On the other hand, please don't take me for and ***hole I myself am going to get a Eastern Indigo snake when I get my own place,time, and money. It can grow to 7-9 feet,and can deliver a nasty bite and might even chew a little.
    (they don't constrict they dismember/crush/thrash prey with their jaws) but atleast it cant take my fingers off. I'm not trying to offened you in any way but seriously, as a bassist to a bassist ( and for your wife's sake) your putting your self at risk whenever your near that cage.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Somehow I don't think the guy that's owned the thing for 3 years needs advice on how to handle it. Oh and I don't care how fast and flexible the turtle's head is because there's no WAY dude's neck is 3 feet long.

brad cook

14. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I KNOW THAT, just to be on the safe side.

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hehehehe

actually snapping turtles can bite back 2/3 of their shell length. They can even flip their head backwards over the shell in a fraction of a second. The turtle is in a tank, not a cage and the top is weighted down considerably. When picking it up i grab it by the very back of the shell and use gloves. These are all tips from experienced keepers and handlers. For the most part biting a non food item is a last resort for a snapper. They will try to hide, run (they can), puff up, and hiss 1st. Simon only ties to bite me when i pick him up, and even then it's not that often. He mostly just wants to get away.

16. That is awesome.

I caught a big one once while chicken necking for crabs. I never considered keeping it for a while, that would be interesting.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they make tasty soup.....

or so I'm told, my father-in-law orders it all the time :rolleyes:

cool looking pet. Becareful, they get HUGE!!! We had one in our lake that had a shell 1.5 foot long

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

Smile!

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Something about haveing an untrainable pet that can whip yer fanny eludes me. It must be all the snapping turtle, alligator and snake bites I hauled to the ER when I was a paramedic.

Good luck. At least it's not a 'gator. Those things can flat out ruin your day.

20. my wife caught one about three inches long (total) in college and kept it for a year. she put it in her aunt and uncle's pond where it disappeared.

recently we caught an anole (commonly known as a chameleon) in our kitchen and named him "beta". he lives in a plastic cage.

robb.