Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snapping While Walking

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Daniel Baskin, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I pretty sure most bassists don't have this occurance, but wanted to see if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Basically what happens when I am walking a line at about a walking speed (90bpm about, but could be faster or slower) my fingers tend to snap together once in a while. Ironically, most of it goes on in beats that swing to the line, so I don't know what to think.

I searched for this topic and couldn't find anything, but I honestly didn't think there would be anything related to this anyway. What I am asking is if there is anyone out there who occasionally snaps their fingers in the process of playing a walking line every while. This is getting pretty specific, but I always thought it was weird, and I can't seem to be able to consciously do it, it just happens. I can purposely stop myself though, I just usually don't want to.

(and BTW, I'm going to be gone for the next couple of days to All-state orchestra, but I'll be back on this post.)

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Oh yea, I've snapped plenty too..It happens when I take my right hand out of position..normally my hand and fingers are pointed down, parallel with the strings, digging in with the the side of my index and middle finger, I'm talking every part of my fingers, from the nuckle down..thats where the fat sound is at..sometimes of I bring my wrist angle up and dig with the tips of my finger(more like a bass guitar) I can get a snap every time with my middle finger..I'm not sure how you are "snapping" but you may be allowing your fingers to do too much of the walking, it's difficult to explain verbally, check out some vids of some real jazz ub'ers, or check out some live shows..make sure digging-in "correctly, in order to "snap" your finger(s) need to move independently from your hand, this should not be happening that much while you're walking a nice easy tempo, your whole hand should be moving...
    KEEP ME POSTED! pm's appreciated!

3. Hey, Charlie Haden does it all the time, so you're in good company.

(I do it too, sometimes, but not as soulfully as Charlie.)

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    i snap all the time... it developed as an unconscious side-effect of consciously going for a fatter sound with a different right hand attack. i love it... though i had a guitarist think i was getting pissed at him once and was snapping my fingers to get his attention. we got a good laugh out of it.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If I'm not mistaken Charlie only does that on the E string when he plays with his middle finger. I used to wonder about that until I tried not dropping my hand off the board when playing the E with the middle finger, and there it was...SNAP! Unfortunately, like you, I also don't snap as soulfully as Charlie.

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I've only noticed it on his E also.

Same with me - I do it on E. So far it hasn't occured where I didn't like it!

7. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I sometimes mum a counter bass line to myself when I'm trying not play too many fills.