snare "buzzing"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Aug 5, 2002.

1. i have quite a low watt amp (20W) but i can just hear it above a drummer if i max every dial. unfortunately, every time i hit a note, the chain on the bottom of the snare buzzes from the vibrations. are we too close together, is it my amp or sumthing else? is there anyway of solving it without denting my wallet too much? thanks for any help
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    He can adjust his snare to stop it. I'm sorry I dont know how to do it. I always ask my drummer round my house when my kit needs tuning.

I have a 220w half stack 4ft from his kit and the snare does not rattle. If you get no joy on this thread I will ask him.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah! If that's a problem, it's not you.

First off, does your drummer use some kind of carpet/rug under the drum kit that will dampen all of the vibrations you are producing???

If they already are doing that, my suggestion is to tell your drummer to get on the stick and get a decent snare, or, have new tension hardware put on it.
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I have the same problem. I think it has something to do with the chain of steel balls inside the snare. That thing is annoying. Try playing far from the drummer, I myself have played 4 feet away on a 10 watt amp and it still vibrates.
  5. I have the same problem.
  6. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    In my experiance, something on the drum kit will vibrate, with almost every frequency produced on the bass. its just part of the territory. And nothing is broken.

Just listen real close and you should hear soething everytime. But in a live situation you can't hear it, and in a recording situation they can mike the kit and record on separater tracks to get rid of it.
  7. He is haveing sypethetic vibrations. He can reduce or eliminate this by slightly detuneing the lugs on each side of the snare strainer. also it can help to turn the snares off and place 3 pieces of electric tape under them one at the middle and one at each end. Hope some of these may help.
  8. hey if your playing together the buzzin should not be a problem and if your practicing by yourself then just turn the snare off. there is a lever on the snare im sure you are aware of it.
  9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's it!
    Our drummer even turns off the snare during songs when he has a longer rest (is the word rest correct here? sorry.)
    And I can only underline: this is your drummer's problem, not yours!

10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    It happens to the pro's too- listen carefully on 'live' studio recordings. I cant think of any at the moment apart from a track on the presidents first album. I think the track is called 'body' or something.

I say you give your drummer a woodblock and be done with it
  11. Like one of the guys said, its sympathetic vibration. The snare is tuned to a note, for example 'A' and so when you play an A on your bass the drum vibrates in sympathy. You get it on your bass to if you don't mute properly :)
    I have to admit i'm not sure how to cure it, but these have been some good ideas above!

I agree with the post below :D
  12. thanks for all the replys. he got his kit off his grandad i think so its pretty old. thanks again:)
  13. BUNTYYYYY!!!! hey man i just thought id say hi this guys a genius everyone he can play classical thump
  14. QUICK FIX: turn the snares off....but then u have another problem
  15. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Build a drum riser, then put a carpet on the drum riser to dampen the vibrations. its a fun and efficient project that everyone can help with and benefit from.:D
  16. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Turn off his snare and get him a straightjacket
  17. cheers for all the replies. as u may have seen in another thread i am probably gettin a new amp, 150W. would this make it any worse?
  18. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    No, it'll make it better, cause now you'll be able to drown out the buzz. And trust me, nobody hears it if your loud enough.
  19. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I play drums as well as bass. Some snares vibrate more than others, and good snare drums tend to sound better than el cheapos, but they all vibrate if the bass is loud enough.

This is your drummer's problem, not yours. He/she can minimize the buzzing by tuning the snare drum and tightening up the snares, but if you tighten them too much it takes the life out of the drum. Get your drummer to check out Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible at:
  20. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    he took his clothes off and you stared at him with his grandad?????? then called it old?

*sorry, had to be done :):)*