1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Snarling Dogs Bootzilla (bass wah + fuzz)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So there isn't too much info out there on these, seems people tend to dislike the fuzz on it but the wah looks awesome, low/mid/high sweeps, master volume. The fuzz has a low/ high frequency mode as well as a volume/ gain control.

I was eying a used one for 100$ on reverb but before deciding I found a partly working one on ebay for 40$ I bid and won the auction earlier, 40$ + 25$ shipping! Sadly the wah part needs some fixing up but for the price I am super stoked! Going to take a look myself and then probably have someone more experienced fix it up and maybe mod it.

Look at how cool this thing is, Bootsie Collins signature wah/ fuzz:

41306-large3.
    wcoxxbscq5e8z3cc9r3a.

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    i have had it in 2014. This one is very heavy, but the cradle is weak and can be easily broken. Fuzz? Very Straightforward and loud. Wah? You may like it. I have bought it used for 50$.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Don't buy it. I was gifted one by a friend and it was a total POS. There are much better options out there.

vegas532 likes this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't mind heavy pedals at all really and I tend to be pretty careful with mine overall. I hope to upgrade the fuzz a bit at least and possibly the wah.

It should be a pretty big upgrade over my Akai Variwah which isn't the worst but could be much better. I intend to try and upgrade it eventually too.

So did you sell yours then? Bad move I would say as Snarling Dogs pedals have been appreciating a lot it seems. The Mold Spore goes for like 300-400$ now and the Bootzilla goes for 100-200 in good condition it seems.

What did you not like about it? As I said I already bought it and I plan on upgrading it.

For the price I don't think there are much better options for the wah pedal alone, the fuzz is clearly not the best but I hope to get it working better eventually.

Also I have heard the QC was terrible as they were made in China so maybe you just got a dud. The videos of working ones I have heard sound great.

5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Here is the only in depth demo which is what I am basing my interest on:

I have never had a bass wah but I am excited to get one with 3 sweep ranges as it should work great for guitar/bass and keys.

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I hope you enjoy it. From most of what I gathered, they were almost all duds. I'm definitely not one to crap on someone's prospective gear, but for a tiny bit more money you could do much better. Mine wasn't defective. It was heavy and sounded like garbage. The wah was literally the best thing, and a cheap Dunlop can get you that. The fuzz circuit wasn't anything you couldn't find on the used market now for $60 and a better wah and cheap fuzz would probably be less of a hassle than lugging this thing around, which probably should have come with its own carrying case. FWIW, the unit I had came direct to my friend via Snarling Dog at a NAMM show while he was there showing his very expensive and very respected amps (the point of that being, they handed him this thing). I was playing bass in his band at the time and he had no use for it. I understand the design intention and I probably am making it sound worse than it really is, but this isn't something I would bring to gigs. The way it's tuned lets some pretty sharp frequncies pass, so have a rig prepared for that. All IMO, ymmv, etc.

vegas532 likes this.
  7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    one more thing. mode fuzz + wah is very good for noize - they are very weird together, seems to be an octave up added.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't see how a cheap dunlop could get you the same thing, I don't think I am even aware of a dunlop with low/mid/high sweep modes in one pedal.

I already have 2 nice fuzz pedals so I am not as concerned about that part of it. I do think it could be cool if modded a bit though. A toggle switch to put the fuzz before or after the wah for example could make it a lot more useful and I might even see if I can have someone completely re build a nicer fuzz circuit in mine.

Check out the demo I posted, I think it sounds pretty damn good. I am glad I didn't cave and buy a better condition one for 100$+ though. In good condition 100$ doesn't seem bad to me either but mine should be perfect for modding. The Bootzilla and Mold Spore schematics are up online but they still fetch a pretty penny.

I have always loved this combo which is why the Bootzilla has me so excited. Even though people seem to love or hate them stock I feel especially with some modding they have a ton of potential. I really like the look of Snarling Dogs pedals in general and have always wanted one of their wahs. Sucks the Mold Spores are so damn expensive as they are one of the freakiest wahs out there! I hope to get one cloned or something one day so I can try one out without spending almost 500$.

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Also I can't find the video now but I saw a short vid of someone playing a Zvex fuzz factory into the Bootzilla and it sounded epic! I have a nice fuzz factory clone so I am excited to give that a try, I also really like stacking fuzz pedals so having a wah/ fuzz seems like it should be cool for that. Especially if modded so I can put the fuzz before or after the wah.

10. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Yeah it Looks cool ! but looks can be deceiving. ( obviously ) :(

11. Matthew Hanafin

Matthew Hanafin

Dec 23, 2015
    Michigan
    If want a fuzz and wah in one just go with the classic Morley

12. I had a Mold Spore. It sounded super cool, but QC was definitely a problem. It used to add weird high-end artifacts at random (shut off), and the cool light-up dog eyes lasted like a month before the teeny wires broke (and there's basically no way to fix those). I had to change out the switch too, and it was a hard part to find.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My Dunlop Mini Bass Wah has a sweepable Q knob that changes the center frequency. A lot more variability than a three way switch.

14. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey, Snarling Dogs, I remember that company! I used to buy their strings in the 90's. They were cheap and not that great...But they were cheap and I was in high school.
    "Something Humping is humping something..."

15. On a related subject ... I tried a friends an EBS bass wah yesterday and was decently impressed. :thumbsup: Didn't have the typical "tone suck" aspect of most other wahs I've tried. Almost made me want to get one! I think it was one of these...
    [​IMG]

16. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I had a Snarling Dogs Blues Bawls way back in 2000 or so. It sucked big time. Eventually broke from very little use, so I ripped the foot-shaped pedal plate off and screwed it to the gas pedal on my truck.

17. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Wow I forgot about these pedals I used to always see them at Sam Ash around the turn of the millennium . They always felt like style over substance . For the price of you want features I'd go with an Ibanez Weeping Demon . Or a Crybaby .

Also I learned years ago that Wah pedals with extra effects built in usually said effects are lousy. I recall the old Tel Ray Morley power Wah with the fuzz it was called a PWF and everyone in the 80s wanted one because they assumed Cliff Burton used one (he did but only once he recorded on PWB through a Big Muff. The fuZz Morley had in their pedal was lousy at best.) If you want a Wah buy a Wah. You want fuZz? Buy a fuzz .

18. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The issue with these pedals, from what I can hear, is a flipped polarity issue when you use both effects together. I played one once and thought it was broken...fast forward to 7 or 8 of them later and they all sound identically broken.

19. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Well I am glad I bought one with the intention of modding it then. I still feel like it has a lot of potential, one day working ones might fetch a higher price like the mold spores too.

vegas532 likes this.
  20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So I just got it today and honestly I think the fuzz is pretty solid, the pots are a bit scratchy which isn't surpising considering it's old and not in the best condition. But the fuzz sounds good, simple controls but enough to nail classic milder to fairly sizzling fuzz face/ silicon fuzz tones. I just tested it out real quick with a stratocaster but I imagine it will sound great on bass too, the low/ high switch is interesting, I may try and add a mini tone knob though for more precision.

I opened it up and see 1 un connected wire, going to try and see where it goes based on pics and hope I can get the wah side working.

It is definitely big and heavy but tone is what really matters to me and I this pedal should have plenty once I get it fixed up and possibly upgraded.

Bo0tsy likes this.