Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sneakin' sally through the alley

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 22, 2000.

1. is this a great bass album or should i put on my sailing shoes

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Leave your sailin' shoes in the closet. It's always stayed in a protected place in my LP stacks. Love the slightly, intentionally, flat backup vocals. If memory serves me right, that's Little Feat, sans Lowell George, backing up Robert Palmer with Kenny Gradney on bass. Last time I saw him he was playing a Kubicki "space bass," (Factor?)

3. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    > "...or should I put on my sailing shoes."

LOL -- Thanks, man. I needed that laugh!

4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Memory serves you wrong. That is New Orlean's own The Meters backing Palmer and George on that album. Nice grooves abound.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Slam - Thanks for bringing that up. To try and get it straight, I tried looking up the Little Feat connection by going to R. Palmer and Little Feat sites and, JEEZ!!! there's a lot of confusion out there! But I think you're dead on, after sorting through the tangled input. Little Feat released "Sneakin Through the Alley...," in `72 and Palmer, accompanied by Little Feat's Lowell George, released it in `74. Some of the diehard Feat fans insist some of that band's members were on it but I didn't see anything factual. The Meters are mentioned more often. One person heard a Little Feat Radio Hour interview with Palmer in which he mentioned the other musicians on the album but the person couldn't remember whom he mentioned.

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I didn't know Feat released a version of the song. I know the original, written by Allan Toussaint and sung by Lee Dorsey (with The Meters) is from the early 60's (or 50's maybe) and Robert Palmer's version. Lowell George does play on RP's version, and, on my LP, each track has the musician's credits.

7. Anyone know the effect Porter is using on the bass in this one?