SNL rules.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "You don't wanna be a drummer! Drummers are douche bags... They steal wives."
  2. "Suck it Trebek, suck it long, suck it hard, just suck it"

haha, yeah SNL rules!
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    From the tiny amount I have seen, the newest cast sucks pretty bad.

The two great era's of SNL were definitely the Belushi/Chase years and the early to mid ninties with Norm McDonald/Chris Farley/Sandler/etc.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If labouring a joke until its not longer funny....and then labouring it some more is what rules....then yes, SNL rules..
  5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Pound for pound, people like Chris Kattan and Jimmy Fallon were some of the least funny people I've ever seen on tv. They ruined SNL. Fallon ruined the few good skits he was in by laughing through them. IMO, if the comedian laughs at his own joke, it's not that funny. For that reason, I absolutely hate Jay Leno, and love people like Conan O'Brien.

Horatio Sans looks like an obese Jimmy Fallon... ever notice that? And he's not funny either. The funniest people on there these days are the white guy who raps every now and then (though I don't know his name and haven't seen him do it in a while) and the kid who used to be on "Keenan and Kel". I don't think any of the girls are particularly funny either, though Tina Fey is hot enough that she doesn't need to be funny.

Without Will Ferrell, the recent SNL cast isn't worth watching. They can't compete with the original cast or the cast of the 90s with Farley, Spade, Dennis Miller, Chris Rock, Sandler, Carvey, Myers, etc etc.

Of course it doesn't help that Mad TV is on the air competing. Neither show is entirely funny, but each show has certain sketches that are. If the 2 were combined, you'd have a pretty decent cast and a good lineup of sketches each show. In the 90s, there really wasn't much competition for SNL and everyone coming up wanted to be on it. Now a lot of comedians either get their own sitcom, go straight to movies, or do commentary for shows on VH1. Not as many seem interested in doing the SNL thing, which makes the show not as fun to watch.

SNL is worth watching any time Ashlee Simpson is on though. haha
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought I was the only person who felt this way. Don't get me started on those morons. Laughing at your own jokes is not cool. I took a drama class in high school, and our teacher made it clear that we should never laugh at our jokes, and other cast members jokes during the performance.

I sure do miss Spade, Farley, Meyers, and Sandler too. I don't even waste my time watching it anymore.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is all so true.

I grew up on the cast of the early 90's. The early 90's cast and the original lineup are what really make SNL. If not for Will Ferrel the other cast would have been a disaster.

Will Ferrel is what Saved that entire show in my opinion. Watching it today is a disaster. People probbaly thought that same thing in the 80's. Mabey if we wait long enough we will another golden cast.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good casts come and go on that show. It may be another 10 or 15 years though...who knows. This one now is so lame it's just incredible that Lorne Michaels allows it to go on as is.

RE: laughing. I haven't watched it in a long time but when I've seen people laugh on there it always seemed like they were laughing at someone else rather than themselves. Like the cowbell seemed like several of them were laughing at Will Ferrell. Personally I think I'd have a hard time working with him without laughing sometimes too...especially when he starts improvising things that you didn't originally rehearse. Then again...if he's saying his own jokes and THEN laughing then sure..he's a tool. How ironic though that the least funny person on there laughs at his own jokes! :smug:
    brad cook
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    LOL!!!! Watching in the couple years I had TV in the 90s I was thinking the same.... the crew you list was completely dull and idiotic compared to the crew of Belushi, Aykroyd, Chase, Murray, Morris, Martin, Radner, etc
  10. Some of the best years were when Kurt Cobain wasn't dead yet, and Eddy Vedder still had long hair, and Faith No More was still around, and before Chris Cornell cut his hair.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The last few years of SNL and have been pretty stale for me.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I said SNL rules just cause of that line from a skit last night... You all are right, its not that funny. Weekend Update is the best thing it has, and its mediocre at best.

The dude doing bush impersonations right now, he sucks... he's obnoxious. Kenan Thompson needs to go...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How was the music last night?.
  14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    amy poehler is funny.

just...not on that show. :meh:
  15. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.

and i HATE madtv, it just plain sucks!

but i do like Horatio Sans.

ps... funny how one guy from Kenan and Kel goes to SNL, while the other "I WANT ORANGE SODA!!!" guy goes to the Dance360!!! did anyone else notice that? i used to watch a lot of nickelodeon as a kid... wish i spent that time playing bass
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, she used to be hilarious as Andy Richter's psycho sister on Late Night with Conan O'Brian.

brad cook
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Sum41 and ludacris for the first round, then just ludacris... I'm biased... I love sum41... so of course it rocked for me... I turned the show off at the start of the 2nd performance when i didn't see sum onstage.

It was pretty cool, kinda like a limp bizkit thing. Just with good rap lyrics. And better guitar work.
  18. Oddly enough, each of these actors has "ruined" a skit by laughing during it. Most notably, Spade at Farley and vice versa in ANY skit they shared. It's never been an issue for me. I never watched SNL looking for the best acting or comedy delivery.

(addressing Puj) Conan has laughed at his own jokes and skits before. His deadpan delivery is commendable, but hardly flawless.

Lastly, every time there is a decent cast at SNL for more than 2 years...that generation claims its the best...and everyone who has seen the phenomenon before claims that one was better. Do I even need to continue this explanation?

"Mr. Reynolds has just changed his name to Turd Ferguson"

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001