1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Snoop Dogg Bass Tone (Video Inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snerek, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007

HOW can i get a tone similar to this on my bass? what effect?

light distortion? with envelope filter?

it sounds sweet!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    A synth pedal that can pull off a sawtooth wave (Octavius Squeezer, Deep Impact , Korg G5), or you can get pretty close with a gated fuzz like the Wooly Mammoth.

Light distortion or an envelope filter won't even come close!

3. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    is that similar to some of the tones Bootsy got on the P Funk albums?

4. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    this pedal sounds pretty good too guys

anyone ever use one?

my local store didn't have one

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yes. It does sound good. But it tracks terribly.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Oh boy... I thought it was another one of his videos...

7. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    the bootsy tone i'm talking about it on the song 'Flashlight'

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, remember that's not Bootsy on that song. It's Bernie Worrell on a synth. Right now there isn't a bass effect that will do a convincing stacked octave sound like that. I think eventually (pending firmware updates) the Octavius Squeezer might, but right now the EHX Bass Micro Synth is as close as you can get with a bass pedal, and it isn't all that close.

Right now you pretty much need a real synth to get that tone. The Moog Little Phatty can, and is a large part of why I broke down and bought one.

9. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    HAH 1993 Basslines ruled rap.. now its mostly lame drum loops (IMO) ofcourse.

10. If you want that tone, play the bassline on a Moog Source keyboard. That's what they used.

That Boss Bass Synth pedal sucks. I had one for years and it was pretty much unusable in a live atmosphere, especially if you're a knob tweaker.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    The Boss Synth Bass pedal will get some great tones

Ginuwine's 'pony ride' is pretty much a bassballs into that boss bass synth.

Could probably get a good tone from a *gasp* Line6 FM4

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The Squeezer's tracking isn't quite good enough yet but the sawtooth does sound good, so if/when the tracking improves...

Can't comment on the Deep Impact.

The Sawtooth on the G5 is the best thing on it and it works perfectly for this (and was the only reason I kept it for so long) but it's a big box for one sound.

A gated fuzz won't get close enough.

Of the boxes I've used the G5 is the only one I could currently recommend for this.

13. Jeez people love to bash the Boss SYB...

It has tracking issues if your playing is sloppy, you have to play very clean and consistent for it to work. Also, it sounds better with other pedals around it. If you boost the signal before hand it helps.

I run mine through a DOD FX25 and it helps smooth out much of the harshness. For the money, it has a decent LPF with resonance on the 11 setting and a decent 'Reese' sound on the 9 setting.

AND just so you know, using just the FX25 and SYB5 you can get very close to that tone.

14. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I've been listening to 2pac lately, not sure where they sampled it from but there's some good stuff in there.

15. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    favorite rap bassline ever for me. been trying to get it down by ear, anyone got a link to a tab?

16. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007

Instead of opening a new thread I'd like to ask you all. what kind of bass effects does Mike Gordon use on this song? Go to 4mins.

I was watching the Phish live in Brooklyn DVD last night, and his bass solo on Free, is amazing!

How does he get that crazy a$$ tone?!

thanks

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Well that's the sound of an envelope filter, and a quick google search reveals he uses a EHX Dr Q and a Lovetone Meatball.

Driven Crane likes this.
  18. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    maybe i'm completely wrong, but i feel like that mike gordon tone is similar to the snoop dog video i posted.

let me know if i'm out to lunch on this one. i'm new to effect and just now starting to research them.

19. +1 there is no bass track on Flashlight, it is ALL synth bass. Specifically, it is a three-octave stacked bass patch on Bernie's minimoog.

The Octavius Squeezer CANNOT stack three bass octaves. And I don't think it's gonna be able too -seems to me that would require more than a firmware update, but rather a circuit redesign. Somebody smack me if I'm wroong about this. The OS can add ONE suboctave Or -2 octave) to your bass tone.

The Little Phatty CAN do it, in fact hat's pretty much what the LP is designed for. Berniew Worrell programmed a set of patches for the minimoog Voyager, and one of them is called "Flashlight 2000" - it sounds pretty dang close but guess what - you still need to mess with the EQ to get it to sound right in a mix. I've tried.

20. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    It sounds a lot like the G Funk intro to DoggyStyle. Could just be a slowed down remix, but I'm not sure. I could play this line for days.

Driven Crane likes this.