Snoring: How do you stop it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I've been told that I snore. I'm going to be living in a dorm with someone else starting next year when I got to school at JMU. I don't wanna upset my roomate with snoring.

How do I stop or reduce it? Anything in particular? What causes it in the first place? Thanks1
  2. It can be stopped by repeatedly beating the snoring offender until they are incapable of snoring anymore.
    Or living, for that matter.

Actually, I have no idea what causes snoring. I was accused of it once by my roommate's ex, but was saved by my roommate who admitted that it was, in fact, him.
    silly girl, doesn't even know her own boyfriend snores...
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    duck tape.

brad cook
  4. 1. lose weight -- a lot of times, excess fat around the chin and neck cause throat and nasal passage restrictions, which induce snoring. lose the fat, gain the airflow.

2a. get surgery -- sometimes it's just how your body is on the inside. doctors can open you up on the inside to allow for more airflow.

2b. nose strips -- you know those nose things that atheletes wear to help them breathe a little more efficiently? you can wear them at night to allow more airflow and prevent snoring

3. if you tell someone to roll over when they're snoring, they'll stop. snoring is most common when sleeping on your back. it's not impossible to snore in any position, but sleeping on your side decreases snoring to some degree and is also good for you back, unlike sleeping on your stomach, which isn't good for your back.

5. I never hear myself snoaring while I'm sleeping. So, why bother? :D
  6. We were camping once and my dad woke himself up by snoring...quite funny.
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, that's the great thing about snoring. It's somebody else's problem. Now if you have a girlfriend or wife and your snoring is causing problems in your sleeping arangements, you might want to see what can be done - but for a dorm roommate - who cares! :p
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Whoever is in bed with me and complaining punches me really hard in the back so i wake up going "owowowowowow" and THEN i stop snoring.
  9. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Elbows work pretty well too.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Jup. Any kind of pain usually stops me snoring. apart from emotional pain. i guess ;)
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Try to sleep on your side, not on your back.

12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Funny thing is, i hear myself snore when im sleeping (only happens when i;'m on my back or close to it). Ive actually been half asleep and started to snore slightly, and i knew i was doing it but i was so out of it, i didnt care. Ive also woken myself up by snoring too loudly.
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  14. My dad has sleep apnia (sp?) and hes the worst snorer I've ever heard. I can often hear him snoring one floor below me, on the opposite side of the house. He has to use a breathing machine of sorts to keep his snoring to a minimum.
  15. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    At first I just glanced at that and thought it said "CRAP machine." My first thought was "I have no idea what that is but it would probably work."

brad cook
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I read it 4 times and still thought thats what it said until i read your post :confused:
  18. There are things called "sleep angels" or "sleep buddies" they are like those things you put on your eyes to sleep so the light doesnt get in, except it goes up and around the top of your head and around your chin to keep your mouth shut. If you mouth is shut you have to breath through your nose, which can't snore. Problem solved.