Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snow, gigs, subs etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bijoux, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    What a day! I've been the whole day on the phone cancelling gigs, getting calls to sub, calling subs, caliing subs back and cancelling, we haven't gotten snow like this in years in Colorado. I wonder if folks in other states are more prepared than us when it comes to snow storms.

2. My part of Wisconsin got off pretty easy this year. Of course, of the two or three storms we had, I happened to have gigs those nights.

One was about 15 miles away, and I didn't receive a cancellation call, so I left early and creeped along and made it safely only to discover that the gig indeed had been cancelled. The leader assumed that I "wouldn't be dumb enough to go out in this weather."

The next storm I took the precaution of calling the venue first and found out it was cancelled. The piano player, who drives 50 miles didn't take this precaution and was SOL.

No compensation was offered by the venue in either case (unless you count a free cup of coffee).

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    that sucks, I think people should still call each other at least out of courtesy just to touch base. some guys are die hards and/or if you are a sideman and nobody calls you up you still feel obligated to show up.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It was 80 here yesterday......

sorry!:D

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Gawd i love Texas...

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    A week ago it went down to -8F. Monday we hit 70F. Life in Michigan. Of course, some guys will probably lose gigs owing to thunderstorm and tornados....

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Man, I hear that!! I've had a few gigs interrupted by the sirens going off. Oklahoma in the spring time. We had our first twisters of the season on Monday near the metropolis of Gotebo, and it is supposed to be stormy all this week.

Oh well, it will be in the low 50's Sunday when I hop a plane to Savannah, GA for the week, so I'm looking for some sun.

Bijoux, I'll have to check out your playing when I'm up there. My little brother just moved to Denver to work at the CU Health Center in a cancer research lab, so I'm sure I'll be up there sometime.

Monte

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Naw, not really gigging. I'm going to an environmental conference (The Environmental Information Association). However, we may do a gig at the social. The president of this association is a jazz drummer from Atlanta, and one of the board members is a jazz pianist, so if the Atlanta guy gets some instruments lined up, we may do a trio deal, or a quartet if my boss brings his trumpet.

I'll try to get out if we can. I'm kind of at the mercy of the schedule, and it depends on how far away from the hotel everything is.

Man, I really dig what you're saying about tornados. When I was a kid, I lived in western Oklahoma. My mom was scared to death of them, and when we moved to Albuquerque, she was relieved when the realtor said she had never heard of a tornado in that area.

First week there; staying in a hotel while they finished our house, a small tornado rips through the State Fairgrounds, about 2 blocks from the hotel...........

Monte

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Just how much snow did you get? If it's anything less than two feet, don't bother replying...;)

The snowbanks in front of my house are still shoulder high...and it's been above freezing for four straight days in a row now - first time since October.

Man, I LOVE Canada!

DD