Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snow Rollers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cb56, Feb 14, 2003.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Snow Rollers
    I did a search and didn't see this topic. Did any of you get these where you live? At first I thought it was kids being creative but then I found out it was the high winds doing this to the snow.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003...ain540695.shtml

They were hollow in the middle like someone took a cardboard paper towel tube and rolled snow up with it then pulled the tube out.

Aliens maybe?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you know, i just learned about those on the news last night!

we don't get much snow in these parts (since 85') :(

3. Yeah, I read about them last night - that the first I've ever heard of them, and they look kinda cool.

Seeming the formation of one would be even cooler, I think.

I just wish the weather would be so inventive round these parts.

4. We had them here (SW Ohio) Weds. night.
    My understanding is that they are rare outside of the Poles (North and South, no European). Caused by a combination of wind, air temp, and wetness/dryness of the snow.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I saw them talk about the rollers on the news a few nights back. Seemed weird to see them but they where farther south in the state so i missed seeing an actual one. Thats all

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not that much open fields hereabouts.. Perhaps in the country where there are vast fields and no trees stopping the wind.

I can understand how they form though, it's just like when you were a kid and first made a small ball of snow, and then started to roll it on wet snow that clung to it and the ball got bigger and bigger..

Pretty cool stuff, if you ask me :)

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Fretless5, I live in Dayton and hoped to see some, but I guess the conditions weren't right up here. It has been a beautiful winter in southern Ohio this year.

8. Monkey, I heard of them from people as far north (from me) as West Chester/ Mason, above there they didn't seem to form.

Today it's ice storms with 1-4" of snow on the way.

I'm getting too old for this.

Oy.

9. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    We got these earlier last week here in Indy. I work in Franklin (20 min. south of Indy, kind of rural) and I couldn't believe how many of them there were during my commute. Very cool.

Of course the weather has now turned into this sucky, raw wind-blown snowy crap that is downright miserable. At least we're not getting 2' of snow like DC but I'm ready for spring.

10. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I do live in DC, and its not a picnic. Some places get snow like this regularly, i dont know how they manage. Some of my neighbors have snow-blowers, and im very jealous