Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DanGouge, Dec 15, 2005.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm going to be doing a lot of driving this winter and I'm thinking that snow tires will be superior to the usual all seasons. Since I know there are at least a couple car guys on here, I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

Is it worth it to get four, or are two sufficient? If I get two and I put them on a fwd car (1996 Intrepid if you must know), should I put them on the front (drive) wheels or on the rear? I have heard both opinions.

I'm going to be student again (at Niagara University, doing my masters) so I'm not going to be able to break the bank on these babies. So if I can do two, that might be nice for the ol' budget.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Front, being you have a FWD car.

Avoid studding them if you can. Imo and ime studs are worthless on the front of any car.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Four is always better that two. Think of it this way: they wear about the same pace and you'll have to get new tires at some point anyways - so what's the point in driving a "half pair" when four would be much safer?

And always put the better tires in the back. Trust someone who has snow on the roads four months a year. Losing front tires will get you driving straight into the ditch outta turn, losing back end will get you on the opposing lane - sideways.

Mike N is right about the studs, though. The modern studless snow tires will get you about the same hold - the studs are supreme only if you get solid ice. Studless are also much more quiet, so you don't lose much comfort if you put them on early and ride them longer into spring.

4. Get all four. It will handle like crap on dry roads if you put on two. But if you only get two they are better off on the front if it is front wheel drive, just for the sake of traction when taking off from stand still. Loosing traction on either front or rear when in motion is a bad thing, get all four.

Check out www.tirerack.com they usually have snow tire packages for pretty cheap. You can buy a snow tire mounted and balanced on a rim, that way you can just swap them without having to take your all season tires off the rims and put on the snow tires and then vis-a-versa in the spring. It will cost a bit more but will save you the cost of mounting and balancing when you swap your tires plus if you have nice rims on your Dodge they will not get damaged in the winter.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If you have FWD, you NEED 4 tires. The best are the new Nokian Hakkapalita RSW. I'm running the Blizzk and they seem nice so far. I got a package from the tirerack - wheels and tires.

Mike

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you can swing all four, then by all means do it. Personally I've never had a problem running only two snow tires on the front of a FWD (that's front wheel drive, not four wheel drive) car, just make sure the two tires you have on the back are in good shape. There's no sense running snows on the front and bald tires on the back.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think studs are illegal in Ontario anyway.

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Mike-
    What's your opinion on Tire Siping (sp?)? A couple of tire places around here used to push it really hard, but they didn't say a word about it last time I was there. Anyway, I never bit, because poking a bunch of tiny holes in my tires just seemed like a dumb way for them to take my money.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I spent 17 years as a Ski School Director - when the snow flew, I was on the road

10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Get all four. I just bought a set of winter tires
    (Blizzak LM-22s) and wheels from the Tire Rack and they're great to deal with. Good prices, quick shipping, and the tires arrived at my door mounted and balanced, all I had to do was put them on. All seasons aren't worth much in the snow, and performance tires are absolutely useless. The rubber freezes up in cold weather.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ummm, I don't think it has to do with the "rubber freezing up"...I have Pirelli Scorpions on my 9C1 Caprice Interceptor(locker rear) & Bridgestone Revo Duelers on my Dodge Ram 4X4. They're both M&S rated & work great.

I never worry about the wear charteristics of a tire compared to its performance(like bass strings). If it save me from a possible accident, it's worth its weight in gold...

As far as heavy snow duty, it's all about the tread design, NOT rubber, used to make the tire. What is the temp of snow...tire softness plays NO role here... Studded work great only on ice & the studs have to be installed on brand new tires only. Once installed, they are directional, so, be sure to mark them after the seasons end.

Any other questions?...

here to help,
    ~S~

12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I wouldn't spend money having someone put extra sipes in my tires. The trick is to purchase the right tire for your application.