1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Snowboard, Ski or Snowblade?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassbarbie, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Skiing

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Snowboarding

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Snowblading

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Sledging

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. For those of you that enjoy time on the slopes - which do you prefer?
    I reckon there's a bit of snobbery out there, particularly about snowblades. I've never tried them.
    I don't fancy the learning curve with snowboards but it seems like surfers would take to them more readily, and it does look cool.
    So far I've only tried skis which I find totally addictive.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I snowboard. I didnt get to go more than once this past winter which is unfortunate; just been really busy.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I grew up learning how to ski because my dad was in ski patrol when he was in college. I would like to learn to snow board, but just haven't gotten around to it. I've been skiing all my life, why change now?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is that some kind of superhero collective?

bc

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm not bad at skiing but next time I go I think I'm going to learn to snowboard. If it wasn't for that I'd try the snowblades.

bc

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally voted for snowblading when I meant to vote for snowboarding. So minus one and plus one.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

lol....I meant SKI patrol, not sky....

7. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Grew up on a skateboard....so at 13 I started snowboarding. I'm 32 now and haven't went for a few years....Takes a lot longer to heal.lol..........When younger though, I had a season pass almost every year.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :p

bc

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've tried skiing, boarding, and blading. I found them all to be enjoyable. In the end, I'll take a pair of skis and poles.

-Mike

10. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    been skiing for 16 years now, so that's where my loyalty lies...

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've skiied for a few years now...cept the last year or tow I havn't gone.

12. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Another skier here.
    Although I would like to try to ride some carrots down the slopes...where's that option? :smug:

AuG

13. Snowboard. And Atomic Discharge 162, with Ride boots and bindings. Nothing against skis, I just don't want to run the risk of the splits.:D

Rock on
    Eric

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    There should be a telemark option.
    I've been skiing for 19 years, so there lies my loyalty. Tele is pretty sweet though... just started this year, in the hopes of being able to do some backcountry and stuff.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I used to snowblade when I did a lot of alpine winter stuff.

16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i ski. this year i did a week in Killington, Vermont, and some time up in Lake Tahoe California. I ski locally and in New York too. I love skiing. It really frees your mind and relaxes you. It's a great workout too.

GOOD THREAD

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me it was snowboarding. Until I hurt my shoulder and couldn't play bass for a while, then I really cut back on my boarding.

18. Yeh, and the risk of twisted knees seems greater skiing, but I don't fancy having my feet stuck together!

Now that looks like hard work to me! What advantage does it have over skiing? - excuse my ignorance!

Sheesh AuG I forgot the carrots option! It could be tricky getting an edge though!

19. Snowboarding for me.

I only got to go once this winter, but it was in Bormio so it wasn't that bad.

We always called snowblades skiboards, I tried my buddie's once, fun little things, but not as fun as boarding.