1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So 410+15 is bad but 210+15 is good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 21, 2013.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    Am I getting this right ?

2. Nope. A pair of 210's or a pair of 115's is the way to go.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    No. 15+2x10 is better, because typically the sensitivity is closer to matched, but that is only one of the many problems with the 4x10 + 15 mismatch.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No, no, no!

Everything is bad unless—it sounds good.

But, sometimes cabs sound better than they actually are—kinda like how Mark Twain says he "Didn't know for certain, but was told that Richard Wagner's operas are actually better than they sound!" :D :D :D

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's less bad, because the two cabs stand a better chance of at least being close in volume and power handling.

(and before yet another one of these takes off for the land of stupid, remember that "bad" in this context just means "probably not as strong, even-sounding or blow-up proof as a similar matched set". the mixed stack might be perfectly good enough for what somebody needs.)

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    Ok so 2x15 or selling for 410. Wooo

7. well 215, or two 210's. Vertical stacking is where the party is.

8. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    No and yes :smug:
    I've used a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (the old evm loaded diesel version) for a little over a decade, great cab and nothing bad to report :) (ok, it was kinda heavy)
    I got a 2x10 and 1x15 (also evm Diesel) and that combi sounds about the same, the PH1000 is a little louder.
    Now I go with two 2x10 and 1x15 sets, very happy with it and sold the big cab.
    I tried about every combination possible, a pair of 210's or a pair of 115's doesn't do it for me.

I did a couple of gigs with the complete set:

[​IMG]
    (with a Mesa Bass 400 and a Strategy 400)
    Will pulvarize many matched and/or vertical stacked rigs :bassist:

9. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^^That's all wrong there partner. This is TB, no how, no way, is that even possible here. Period!

10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Get the impression you have a 15, and want louder. Do you like the sound of the 15 you have but it isn't loud enough, or do you just not like it?

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    I currently have a pretty mint 15he. Used it a few times solo but mostly with the 410 and a 4pro. 4pro and the 410 are long gone unfortunately. In the market for a new head that I can use with the 15, and with whatever secondary cab I get. So i'm either going to sell the 15, and get a 410 with whatever amp I choose, or add another 15 with whatever amp I choose.

12. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The dogma at talkbass is don't mix drivers... ever. For the most part, very sound advice. However, if you read Victor Wooten's website, after trying 25 different cab and amp setups, he settled on the 410 and 115 combination with the hartke lh1000 head. Go figure.

13. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 2x10 & a 1x15 - sounds & feels good to me when combined. Anyone who wants to argue about speaker efficiency or whatever may be correct in their technical theory but it's what sounds good to you that counts.

14. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Trick is to find a cab you like the sound of, and add more of them until it is loud enough. don't think in terms of speaker size, because it doesn't have any reflection on sound. That way you have one sound, and control of the volume, rather than changing sound as you change volume.

15. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I figured he gets paid that way, hence the whole endorsement thing.

16. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    :D I know, luckily I prefer RL over TB :smug:

17. My 2x10 is short on the deep lows I can get from my 1x15, used together to get loud I have to eq to save the 2x10 from flabbing. If I biamp them I get a very clear sound, showing up a lack of complete phase compatibility.

I suspect the level of "good enough" is all that can be had from combining driver sizes with attention to phasing.

18. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I think we all understand the idea of the "whole endorsement thing". I don't think hartke gives two shakes what cabinet combinations he uses, as long as he uses hartke. It appears that Victor prefers the 410/115 combination over the 24 others he tried. Hence, go figure. :)

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There ya go. Much better now... :meh:

MM

20. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    :D Use a 210 and a 115, but biamp.