So a BOSS Overdrive and a ****** Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 29, 2002.

1. I can't decide on a wah pedal.

I'm going to mix it with distortion, like Cliff did. I mean I'm not trying to 'reproduce' his sound, it just sounds cool as hell if you can set it up right.

Like it's talking. Sorta like bassballs.

Anyway. Would Morley be my best bet? Morley Classic Wah?
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Dunlop 105Q Bass crybaby is the best wah that I have ever used on bass (I have one). Sounds very good. For samples, check out Flea from RHCP.

3. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I used to own a Morley bass wah and it was terrible. The frequency sweep on the pedal was just too short and, mechanically, the pedal didn't have much play to work with. I can't remember the model, but it was big and blue. That's just my experience with Morley bass wahs.

I own a Crybaby 105Q now and it's far and away superior to the Morley. I recommend it -- the tone sweep is good and the volume/Q controls work nicely.
  4. i recomend something by snarling dogs... they've got quite a few different wah's, and they sound wild.
  5. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    That reminds me -- I did try a Snarling Dogs Whine-o wah at one point and was pretty impressed with it. It was technically a guitar wah, but the low end was very present and the overall tone was quite thick. In fact, I'd say that the tone of the pedal was better than that of the 105Q; however, the Whine-o cannot be set to give a flat signal. Even with the volume/gain turned all the way down, engaging the pedal still provides a volume boost. That was the only reason I opted for the 105Q over the Whine-o.
  6. i'm using an old guitar crybaby i found buried in our rehearsal studio... asked everyone around if it was thiers... no takers... free pedal! i don't know if you would call it "vintage" but it's freaking old. even sounds good on low B.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I play and recommend the 105Q as well. Very good pedal. (And I hated Dunlop stuff before I owned it, it had to overcome a lot of prejudice!)
  8. Dunlop Cry baby 105Q all the way. There is no better.

9. Later
  10. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Boss has a PW-10 V-wah that you might wanna check out... it's got 3 memory settings and a ton of other good stuff. Only problem, it's pretty big.
  11. Size ain't a concern. I just want a nice distortion for $60-90.
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    ah... well if there are any on Ebay, they should be around 60-90.