Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So a label wants to record us.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Microbass, Aug 1, 2005.

1. This has been a brilliant weekend.

I need some advice, atm the guy seems a little fishy, but this is still really cool...
    The guy is called Ryan, "CEO and Director Of RYAN RECORDS and HitzRadio Ltd."

I looked up HitzRadio and its register to John Dunlopp - the "chairman". Ryan told me the radio got shut down due to lack of profit.

Ryan continues that he wants to do a demo with us, distribute it and if it goes well, record a single and have it sold across "the whole lot of mp3 sites" - napster, itunes etc. :hyper:

He said for the demo, for the 3 songs we'd have the final on publishing rights and such. And we'd sort out copyrights etc later on...

he also mentioned that hes not in the office today (taking the day off) so the conversation wasn't on record - to me this makes him sound business like.. - and he'll call tomorrow.

when asking how he found us he gave me the same response a big promoter gave me a few months ago.. "i have a foot in every door and lots of people watching - word travels!"

basically, im just looking for advice from you TB'ers. What do you tihnk of the situation and how should we handle it? Personally I liked to have a meet up ina coffee house, few coffees and talk business, and some crap ;)

thoughts? anything i should watch out for and any websites that might help me out and broaden my understanding of the biz? :)

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't sign a damn thing without a lawyer reading it first. I don't care how nice, and professional the guy seems.

3. forgot to mention - ste has connections, a couple of them being a music lawyer and a lawyer. :)

4. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Get a lawyer that's not connected with Ryan Records. I'll cost you more money, but a lawyer on the label's payroll (or who's a golfing buddy with the label CEO) will never have your best interests at heart.

edit: spelling

5. You could do this all yourself, and get equal results. "has connections" is a bunk line. Don't be fooled. Have him drop names and contact them directly if need be.

You could record the song or two or three on your dime, and press a small run with someone like discmakers, and they set you up with all the major-hit MP3 sites themselves.

Then get a profile on Garageband, one on Myspace, direct link like mad, on the verge of spamming people, be incessant. For every 5 people you piss off, there's one or two who will hit the links and check you out, and maybe spread the word. Do the legwork yourself. Small investment, a modicum of effort and you don't "owe" anyone anything.

And no offense, but "ryan records" sounds really hokey.

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!

Before you sign ANYTHING, you need the advice of an attorney that specializes in intellectual property rights, preferably with further specialty in music publishing. In the UK the terms are probably different, but I'm sure the laws are relatively the same.

In the US, there's nothing to be "sorted out" about copyrights. The composer(s) of a song "owns" the copyright, and all you have to do is make a "recording" of the song, and presto...you've got the "copyright".

Publishing rights are a different matter, and you need to learn the difference and do everything you can to retain at least a controlling interest. NEVER sign over more than 50% publishing rights to anyone. Just ask Paul McCartney. Thanks to the Beatles naivte, Michael Jackson now owns the controlling interest in most of the Lennon & McCartney catalog.

Anybody can be a "Record Company Executive". Hell, I own my own record "label", and I have some very nice business cards to prove it.

Tell you what...I'll sign you to a multi-record deal, provided you give me 75% of your publishing, and list me as a composer of all your material so I can get a piece of your composing royalties as well, okay (this used to be a common practice, not done anymore...but you don't know that do you?)? Of course, I'll pay for you to record an album, the cost of which will be 100% recoupable (you pay me back) by me from sales. Also recoupable, before you see a penny yourself, will be costs for promotion, manufacturing, tour support...in short, every conceivable cost related to the production and distribution of your record.

7. Yup, there's that fun little story about the A&R guy who went to the studio while the band was recording their record, brought along some beer to "partay" with, and then later billed the band for the beer.

recoupable indeed.

8. heres a few rules ive learned so far

1. MAKE IT COMPLETELY CLEAR THAT YOU DO NOT TRUST THEM AT ALL UNTIL YOU HEAR FROM ESTABLISHED NAMES THEY CAN PROVE THEY WORKED FOR.
    any producer who can do what this guy claims he can will not be insulted because they will know how many con artists are out there

2.do all the legal stuff without them involved at all. copyright your songs, research intellectual property/contracts ect with the help of someone who is completely not connected with them at all.

3. DONT TRUST ANYONE. THEY KNOW HOW TO BEND YOU OVER AND F@#$ YOU LEGALLY. DONT TRUST

ok ill stop yelling. best of luck to you and your band