So . . . (aerodyne thread)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 8, 2005.

1. . . . I had a genetics exam today, was kicking about town after the exam, went into the music shop to have a look at the basses and such, been a while since i was in . . .

and whats this, a Fender Aerodyne, now, this was my first time seeing this beut in the flesh (so to speak), all i can say is, wow, it was really nice!!!!

i want one more than ever now

The only thing i didnt like about it was the back plate that covered the electronics was just a mess, it looked like a 5 yr old had done it, i thought MIJ's were fairly constant in quality, or is this something that anyone else with an aerodyne has noticed?
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Mine doesnt have a pickguard or plate. I kinda wish I held out for one of those, cause I love the look w/ the pickguard. I love thae way it plays, smooth, fast and very light. I'm not crazy about the stock pickups though. They sound ok, but compared to my G&L they are kinda noisy and lack the low/mid growl I love. But they are pretty sweet in the mid-range punch department.

I want to hot-rod mine w/ a j-retro and new pickups- probably nordstrands, but I dont think that preamp will fit on my bass :( . I think it would with the other version though. All things considered its a fantastic bass for the $...and dead sexy too. :)
  3. thats the one they had in the shop, i want to see the cherry red version tho

that is just sexy, i want to get one, stick an agular pre in it, along with some SD's or EMG's (stacked J pickup to get rid of hiss)

whats the plate on the back of yours like?

God those things are just sexy!

it was £650 in the shop tho ! ($1160 )

so im gonna import it direct from the MIJ distributer if i get one
  4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The back plate is a small oval that allows access to the pots.

I don't get much hiss, It just lacks the beef that I'm used to with my G&L. However, I noticed in your sig you use a sansamp. I found that to be the answer to my issues with the pickups. It works wonderfully with the stock pups. But, I'm sure an upgrade to the pre and/or pups would make it sound that much better.

Do a search for fender aerodyne, theres another TB member (forgot who) who put EMGs in his- I believe he said the pups & battery fit right in w/o any routing.
  5. cool, well, its all just theorising atm, if i did get one i wouldnt stick new pups in it without at least giving the stock ones a chance

i know what the backplates for, its just the one i saw looked like it had been cut out by a small child with a plastic fork, either that or wish was round there :smug:
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

It's a beautiful bass. But yeah, you need to find a friend in Japan. I'm waiting for my buddy to get stationed in Yokosuka so he can buy an MIJ for me :)
  7. I already have a friend over there, who would have thought ex-drummers would have thier use !
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Oh I gotcha... :) Actually the build quality on mine is pretty good. I only found one minimal fault after owning it for a few weeks. Theres a small chip in the binding on the body, but I don't think it came from the factory like that. I suspect it got dinged-up in the store where I got it. Wish I saw it while i was negotiating a deal...oh well :( Still a rockin bass none-the-less.
  9. aye, ill just have to get one from japan with a hardcase and hope for the best!

i noticed a few dings on the hardware of the one in shop, most noticably a fairly large chunk out of the input jack!
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The shiny black fingerprint magnet finish and the alien vehicle knobs are hideous.
  11. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I've had mine now for over two years. I replaced the stock pickups' and control set with EMG's over a year ago. I am very happy with this bass. I also replaced the stock bridge for a Gotoh 201. And,....I also put on new black drum knobs, new black Hipshot Ultralite tuners', and even made a new nut, more substantial than stock, out of BLACK water buffalo horn!!!! Anyway, this bass gets a lot of use, mainly because it's light, it looks cool, and it sounds GREAT!! Here it is:

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Damn, that's one sharp looking axe.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice, Thats the bass, and TBer I was thinking of. Thanks jpo259.

BTW, how do you like the hipshot ultralight tuners on there? I was thinking about swapping mine, 'cause w/ the stock tuners my bass has a bit of neckdive problem.
  14. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    The Aerodyne Jazz Bass is available in Japan in the following colours: Old Candy Apple Red, Dolphin Grey, Black, Matt Black, and Dark Forest Green. The price listed on the Ikebe Music Store site is 48,720 Yen (approx. US$400 but don't quote me!). Price includes a soft case.

Here is a link to page 9 of the Fender Japan product listings - second photo from the top, middle column. Shown are the red, grey, and black models.
  15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I emailed guitar trader a few months ago about getting the aerodyne with the pickguard and control plate. He said they were out of stock but if I called him (Tyler) and asked about it he'd contact the factory and see if they have any available. I guess the same offer goes for anyone so you could try that rout if you want. 18884aGUITAR
  16. Thats how mine is going to look, but with stacked knobs, possibly a replacement bridge and mini tuners, all in black, so it sticks in theme, the new ones also have the strat style jack

To the ppl who are saying, i dont really like the one with the pickguard and front routing (plate), i prefer the one thats been shown so-far, and that is only availible in Black and Candy Apple Red

Cheesewizz, i thought the same about the knobs til i saw them in person, they are not as bad as they look in the pictures!

Cheers for the link to that site, i had another one,
  17. know what . . . from looking at the pictures, im really not sure which i prefer now, the pickguard one didnt appeal to me before, but now . . . damn!

i guess im going to have to save up and get one of each eh :smug:

i wish :(
  18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California