Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So after 3.5 years of playing, i finally bought a new bass...a Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Well, it finally happened. It's on lay-away at the moment, should have it paid of in a month (all going well!!). After looking at all my options and deciding on buying a Warwick Thumb Bleached Blonde. They are a tight bass. But, considering this was going to be my first GOOD bass, I thought I should get something a little more versatile - save the unique basses for when I need something unique :D

I went into the local music shop and was going to put money down on the Thumb, when I figured I would give the Stingray a shot. I had never played a stingray plugged in, only accoustically. I plugged this thing in and man oh man, it blew me away. It was growly, but still clear. It was exactly the sound i wanted. It was a dream to play. I was very surprised considering it's size and apparent lack of ergonomic design when compared to Warwicks. I left the store that day, very confused, unsure what I wanted...

I couldn't get the musicman out of my mind while i was at work the following day. I left work early and hauled ass down to the music store. I walked in, pointed to the stingray, and said I wanted it. It's now 1/3 of the way to being all mine!! The sucky part is having to wait till I pay it all off :(

I'm so happy with it. It's a Stingray 4, cherry burst finish with maple fretboard and head, and black pickguard. I can't find an exact picture anywhere, so if someone can...could you post it? Thanks!

Ps. I would also like a clear pickguard to show off the cherry burst, any idea where i can get one? or can i make one?

I would like a clear pickguard as weel, to show off the cherry finish.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Congrats! Be sure to post pix of the bass when you get it. I would stick with the black guard though, just my opinion. :bassist:

3. mmmm! stingray! mmmmm! MAPLE!!! mmmmm..MMMM!!

good buy! remember! pix and clipz! :D

4. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    this is also my current gas. i neeeeeeeeeeeddddd a frikkinnn stingrrayyyyy...

only a month to go!

5. How could I possibly forget pics and clips?!! may take a little while...unless I can convince my mate who works at the store to let me borrow the 'ray for a weekend.... :cool:

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Congrats on the Stingray. Still one of my favorite basses of all time - and I'm old, so it counts.

RE the clear pickguard? Talk to Gard at Bass Central. I've seen them on the website.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm I would have chosen the BB Thumb...
    anyway enjoy