1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So after seeing a youtube clip i really dread for an acoustic fretless:O

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ive been deciding what bass to get and i never made a decision, but then i saw an awesome clip on youtube, of a guy jamming with a guitarist. That was honestly the best bass ive ever heard my whole life. That tone and playing, ohman. I thought: "now i just gotta get a fretless acoustic instead and save for an electric later". Im still not sure. I dont wanna rush into things, i mean, an acoustic wont get me in a band^^ But i thought, wth, i can save another year for an electric, since itll take that long until ill be good enough fretless player to join a metalband.

So, i need some advice. Bassnw has some Michael Kelly that looks nice. But i have no idea what i should look at when buying an acoustic. I would want it to have a good soft (but not far too creamy) sound, and have a good volume, so i could jam well with an acoustic guitarist. I dont think a low b will be needed for an acoustic, but how does a low b sound on acoustics? Ive seen some acoustics having a pickup. whats the difference? Ill stop blabbering now:bassist:
    If you guys want ill link to the youtube clip.
    Also, if the bass is affordable enough, i might get a wii too afterall:D

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I did a lot of research and settled on the Tacoma Thunderchief 4 string fretless. No ABG is going to be really loud, but I can hold my own with one or two acoustic guitarists. I had a Tacoma 5er for about two days, but sent it back for several reasons, one of which was that the low B was pretty much useless unamped.

The Thunderchief has a pickup, and three options of onboard electronics.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok. But does a pickup mean it can be used with an amp? Heres the clip anyways.

I noticed he said its a Michael Kelly custom club or something, so i might get just that bass if not too expensive!:D
    Bass nw seems to have that model, but only in 5 string. They are electric acoustic it seems, so is the low b still useless? otherwise theres a dragonfly III. Not sure how good that one is.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

Michael Kelly ABG's are in the $500-800 range; Tacomas are around $1K. Tacomas are louder.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Wow, so basically, theres no big loss getting it over an electric then, if i can amplify it? Seems to be more worth it. Does it retain any acoustic quality when amplified? Or does it sound like an electric?

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Well, you can plug them in, BUT, if you're competing with guitars in a metal band, you won't be able to get the volume needed without feeding back. There are alot of nice electric fretlesses available. And even some hollowbody electric fretlesses that are not as prone to feedback, but you will still be battling with it. You might want to at least try out some electric solidbodies to get a feel for them.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    In the clip the bass was amplified. That's not the acoustic sound. If it was, he had mic righ on top of the bass... if someone is strumming a guitar with any force, the bass usually gets lost.

I have an older MK fretless, and the amplified tone is pretty awesome. Last year I ordered one of their fretted no frills basses (forgot the model) and I was incredibly disappointed. Sent 2 of them back to where I purchased them because they were unplayable. Something wrong at the neck joint which made 2 frets (on both basses) play the same note. If it were with one bass I'd say cool, but same problem on both basses made me really question what MK has been up to.

When I bought my bass, several years back they used to check every bass they put out practically with a microscope. If there was anything less than perfect witht the bass they auctioned them off for slightly less on ebay. Pretty sure they stopped doing that. Mine had a pinhead of a paint spot on the back of the neck, and to this day that's the only imperfection I could find. The newer ones that I ordered - as I said, were unplayable. Don't know how they ever left the MK factories. To me it looked very much like they just don't care any more like they used to.

Sooooo... I went on a search last year while at NAMM and wound up picking myself up a cheap 5 string. JB player. Acoustic sound is awesome, plugged in leaves a bit to be desired. I realized from playing just about every acoustic I could at NAMM that once you start heading towards the $1000 mark there really is a difference. Especially in the plugged in tone. The really cheap basses sometimes project really well acoustically, but suffer bigtime plugged in. Different string volumes, distortion, tone's with no depth, feedback - all kindsa stuff.

What's my point? Not sure, just stating my experience. If you're looking to play any kind of loud rock with a band, a fretless ain't gonna do it for ya. It'll feedback, and the tone will just be missing something. If you're looking for something to play acoustically in the house, play with others acoustically, or do little jams with small amps - ya might be happy. Lastly - and the point of all I wrote above is that I think you might need to really get out and play some before making a decision, and if you CAN'T do that - be sure to buy from someone who's not going to hassle you if you need to return it.

Apologies for the possible incoherency of the thread - 1 minute after I started typing my takeout mexican food arrived, i'm starving - and I just spit all the above out without any editing or thinking past my quesadillas. :D

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I said that i wouldnt be using it for metal:) But, you say its plugged in? Wow, then i better reconsider. Guess im back to the Ibanez GWB35 then:) Time to save. Thanks alot for that post. It saved me from a potential waste of money ive saved for soon a year:) So an electric could get that tone with not to much problem?