So, anybody LIKE Whisnevskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 26, 2002.

1. We all hear about how crappy the Whishnevsky bass is. Well, this guy stays in buisness, so somebody must like them! I'd like to hear some arguments on why they are worth a purchase.
    It will be hard to convince me though!:cool:
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  3. yep, i believe nashville session bassist Dave Pomeroy owns a 'Wishnevsky Banana Bass' and he used it on his latest solo cd. its listed in his gear list page at his site under the 'Bass Guitars' heading. i dunno, i've never tried a Wishnevsky, but Mr. Pomeroy has played on some serious, world class cd's, and if he doesn't take the Wishnevsky's as a joke, then why should I?

here's the link to Dave's gear page...

could it be that this banana bass gives him some sort of funky sound/tone that he cannot achieve otherwise? maybe so.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe he just wanted to be able to list another bass. :p

brad cook
  5. Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    IMHO this guy takes way to much heat from this website. Why do so many people feel the need to bash this guy and his work? At least he is trying to be creative.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't think anyone has a problem with 'creative'. What's critizised is primarily shoddy quality and bad functionality. Bridges that prohibits correct intonation, control covers that are partly overlapped by the bridge, nuts cut so the strings go right at the edge of the fretboard, bad pickup routings, no truss rod, etc. The product doesn't seem to live up to his own descriptions.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the Bananna bass.

From Dave Pomeroy's website:
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Doesn't look much like a banana though. But perhaps that's just 'artistic license'... :)

Here's what it should look like, a banana guitar used by Sweden's Electric Banana Band. :D

9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    My god that banana bass is hideous! And you're right, it doesn't even look like a banana, it's just an oddly shaped yellow thing.
  10. I'm gonna go ahead and say PacMan bass. What a piece of crap. There isn't a consistanly tanget radius on the exterior surfaces....nearly anywhere! And the body is damn near DB sized...making the neck look like a danged toy.

11. OK, I suppose I should address the Wishnevsky Banana Bass issue. I see from looking around TalkBass that Steve W. and his instruments have created quite a stir, both positive and (mostly) negative. I met him at the Merlefest Bluegrass Festival in April 1998. He was a nice enough guy and had a booth with a number of wacky/primitive instruments. The Banana bass was so bizarre that I had to have it, and for a most reasonable sum, it was mine to take home and unleash upon Nashville. I added a telecaster pickup so I could use it onstage. Its sound is best described as "washtub bass meets a Brazilian berimbau on Lightnin Hopkins front porch". I have played it onstage a half dozen times or so, as the photo attests, and it always gets a big laugh and curious looks. It is not the most accurately intonated fretless instrument I have owned (to say the least!) but taking that into account, I have had a lot of fun with its rattly nasty tone.

I did use it on my new CD, but only as a percussion instrument, a la a djembe/hand drum, which worked great, and despite what what someone said, not just to list another bass. I have other, more expensive,"real" basses that didn't make the CD. My only criteria is if it sounds right for the song, use it. If I do a Delta Blues tune on my next CD, the Banana may get the call.

I have not tried or heard SW's newer axes, but I have seen pictures and he seems to have refined his woodworking skills somewhat in the last 5 years. He certainly is not afraid of breaking the rules, and from what I gather his prices are still pretty reasonable. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. To me it was the primitive gut bucket blues sound of the Banana Bass, and its bizarre appearance, not its "impeccable craftmanship" that was its appeal. I would never recommend it to anyone as their main axe, but give the guy a break. You're not going to find a Fodera for the price of a Harmony. Maybe some of you guys should lighten up a little bit. If you don't like it, don't buy it!

I am surprised that no one mentioned the purple shoes. I guess good taste is subjective after all...

Peace, Love and Grooves to you all - Dave Pomeroy
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Now about those grape shoes........:D
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Harmony instruments are built at a far higher level of craftsmanship than those.

Im sure they are much earier to play as well.

BTW, the shoes arent that bad, especially when you have that yellow thing taking up the whole picture.

14. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i wonder if that banana has a truss rod in it...hahaha. Try adjust the action on that bass, I DARE YOU
  15. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    LOL, i wonder how much that thing weighs?
  16. OK I admit the "find a Fodera for a Harmony price" remark was a little lame. It was meant as a loose analogy, not meant to imply that Foderas are too expensive or that Harmonys were built badly.

BTW, I cannot adjust the Banana, nor do I try to, and it also weighs very little. It is what it is. There are many options to explore if you want to buy an inexpensive bass. To each their own follies...mine are basses and shoes. We all have to live with our choices.

Groove On...DP
  17. Hey, I think those are John Fluevog Creepers. I have a couple pairs myself--blue and bright green.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this has been one of my biggest personal beefs with them, since it is obvious from their pictures to be true for pretty much every instrument of his i've ever seen.

hey, whatever works is great - finding uses for things and making things work is the mark of a real original thinker.

hey dave, welcome to talkbass :) btw, i think your purple shoes rock.

as one of the biggest wish-bass detractors, my beef with these things parallels some of the things said in your post, although i guess to me these criteria are more important than they are to you.

for me a bass needs to be accurately intonatable, have a smooth, even fretboard with even response throughout, and have the ability to maintain some semblance of action and playability in different conditions. a bass with no adjustable bridge, non-composite neck with no adjustable truss rod and with obvious workmanship flaws on the fretboard like i've seen on most of these instruments is not going to be able to satisfy my personal requirements, at any price. i'd rather play a similarly priced samick or ibanez product.

as for steve himself i'm sure he's a great guy. i can only vouch for myself in saying that the comments that i have made in the past questioning the builder's intellect and mental health and capacity were sincere and not intended to be malicious, based on what i saw from pics of the instrument. it's one thing when an instrument has a body style that is unconventional, bringing up matters of taste and subjectivity. generally, in this situation, if i don't have something positive to say, i generally keep my mouth shut. for these instruments, though, where basic workmanship and luthiery paradigms are bucked or shifted just for kicks or "artistic expression" ...

i don't know about anyone else, but i am eagerly awaiting the chance to actually play some of these basses. i honestly would like nothing more than to be proven wrong about these instruments. who knows, maybe mr. wishnevsky will be at a namm show some day where i'll get the chance, or maybe sometime when i'm travelling through north carolina i'll stop in on his shop.

EDIT(JT) : added a "not" so that i actually made sense :rolleyes: :D
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, JT-- Doesn't j-rai have a Wish? We need to make sure he comes to the next Atl BassGetogether.

Maybe Dave would want to come down to hang with a bunch of Atlanta bass players, and he can bring his Wish, too! :D

BTW, Dave--I played your Rockwood Curbow 7 when I was at his shop a couple of months ago. What a nice bass.

I've said in the past that if someone gave me a Wish bass, I'd gladly take it for the sheer joy of seeing the looks on the faces of people at gigs when you pull out something that looks like a Klingon Marital Aid! ;)