Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, anyone actually order a custom shop Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 11, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just wondering... If anyone around here has ordered one, and received it, I missed the thread. Curious to know what turnaround times have been, etc.

Inquiring minds want to know!

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    ... and inquiring eyes want to SEE!!!!!

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it was truly custom shop, they'd have more options like changing the string spacing...like a wide neck version. :D

4. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Yes, buying my "custom shop" Peavey to play through my "hotrodded" Gorilla amp. I'm thinking I'll be a tone monster...NOT.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

Have you actually ever played a Cirrus?

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    +1,000 :)

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've been really tempted a few times ... I definitely like the Cirrus 6 except for that string spacing. I was toying with the idea of talking to the CS, but I understand that a wider spacing is not an option. I've also heard that the turn-time is about average for non-boutique shop work (between 2-4 months depending on what you're looking for in terms of specific options).

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Warning... Warning Will Robinson... CIRRUS BASH... Warning!
    (Oh the pain, the pain). :bag:

9. Never ordered from Peavey's custom shop, but some other fellow did, then didn't pick up his bass from the local shop, so I've played a custom Cirrus a few times. :hyper:

It was nice, very nice--but my wife has some crazy thing about wanting clothes for the kids before we spend $2500 on a new bass. What's that about??

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You know people complain about the string spacing, but actually if you play a Cirrus exclusively for awhile (like I've been doing lately) then the string spacing feels natural, even for slap. It's a characteristic that you have to allow time to get accustomed to, that's all. I've gotten to the point where I prefer tighter string spacing (17mm over 19mm).

I would definitely get a custom cirrus if I had money :bawl:

It would be pretty much a claro walnut model with a couple of added options.

11. It's amazing to me that people quibble over a strong 1/16" of string spacing variation.

Seems kinda silly to me...does your thumb / fingers REALLY feel that much of a difference?

12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, you really do notice the difference, especially when you've been playing wider spacing for a long time .... and really especially when you're an upright player. I agree that anyone can get used to anything given enough time and patience, but in my case there are wider spacing options on other basses besides the Cirrus. I just happen to like the bass and wish they had a wider alternative.

Compare it to string height, if you wish ..... those who play with a very low action can not adjust to a higher string height, yet aren't we also talking about 1/16" type differences in that case?

Plus, the true reality, I'm old and set in my ways :scowl:

13. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I have really been gassing for a new custom 5 string, I think I'm going to go with a custom shop Cirrus. Any advice on options? I'm leaning towards a walnut body,koa-redwood-or bubinga top, active electronics, possibly fretless

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Go for the 3 band Eq with sweepable mids. Adds even more versatility to a very versatile bass.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

I have the tigereye model, which has the sweepable mids. Well worth whatever the price difference is.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Am I the only guy that interpreted that as a reference to "the tone is in your hands"?

17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yes.

It was a "Peavey" Bash.

The Cirrus Commands way more respect than it gets...

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yes.

The wording attitude, and pairing with the Gorilla amp was a blatant bash. If it wasn't then he needs a communications 101.

19. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yes. Peavey bashing is decidedly unappreciated by those who own one (or more). I have two of the I-can't-get-no-respect brand. The snide remarks always come from someone who has never played a Cirrus, a USA Millennium, a B-Quad, a G-bass...

20. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The Cirri are the real deal - play one a while, and you'll get it. Also, I bought my Cirrus used, and when the bridge pickup went out, they sent me a new one for FREE!!!! Doesn't get any better than that. I will own another Cirrus - me thinks I want a Redwood with the 3 band. :D