So, anyone play An eight or 12 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8guy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Im curious, I didnt see anything in my search here for 12 string bass.

So yes I had a Hamer 12 string for a few years and loved it. It was one of the early late 70s ones with the short scale, Two Dimarzio pups with a built in preamp, I bought it from a guy named Hal Hamer who claimed to be a relative of someone at Hamer.

It was not the real early quad ones like Tom Peterson used with Cheap Trick, but I did once meet Tom and showed him the picture, and he thought it might of gone on tour as a backup once for him.

I had to sell it due to Money matters, but just got a Brice 8 string I love.

I love playing these as I usualy end up in power trios and have to fill a lot of space.

So anyone else play one at all?

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I play 12 and 15 string Basses and there are a few other TB members here who play 8's and 12's as well.
  3. u didnt get anyhting bcuz the search excludes 12 and bass for being too popular of words soo u just get a search for string ;)
  4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I play an early 80's Kramer aluminum neck 8 on occasion. Not exactly a studio friendly bass due to it's intonation limitations (root + octave string on same saddle)

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have in the past, love 'em, but can't financially justify buying one yet.`
  6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    All I play these days is Hamer 8 and 12's(short scales). My bandmates demand it now! When they first saw the 12 they freaked, but now they think the band sounds "empty" without it.
    I got my first Hamer in 1990, played it for several years, then put it away for while. I've now fallen totally head over heels for again, and even my '66 P doesn't see much action anymore!
  7. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have a Dean Rhapsody 8 and a Galveston 12 string that I bring out every so often if I feel the band needs the pump up! It's funny, an 8 sounds huge when you first play one, then you play a 12 and an 8 doesn't quite sound as big anymore! I think some people feel intimidated by multi-course basses, think they are not flexible, plus they can be difficult to eq.

Multi-course are actually quite flexible. If one takes the time to try and master them, you do use different techniques and may have to utilize different note choices than a single course bass, you can make fantastic sounding music. It's almost cliched to say it (but it is one of the best uses of a multi-course bass in a popular recording) but listen to the intro of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam to see what a 12 string bass can do. Or listen to the work of a previous poster in this thread, Jauqo III-X, to see what one can do with a multi-course bass.

For more reference, go to and you can check all of the different 12 string basses available, listen to some excellent recorded examples and chat with devotees of the instrument.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

John Turner and Stew immediately come to mind as TB'ers.

I don't know what search term you used, but try "ERB" or "extended range bass", I think that's what I used a few months ago. Also check out the photo galleries for some gorgeous pix!!
  9. im prety sure this guy was talking about double and triple coursed instruments not ERBs

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Got it...but I think John and Stew play those as well...could be wrong, though.
  11. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I've used my XL8 in the studio a couple of times and it sounded great.
  12. well, I can't speak for JT, but I'm pretty much just a single course/ERB guy. Xush has a totally wicked 8, though!

13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    :D :D :D :D :D

I have to giggle every time I see those 18-stringers at the site Jauqo posted.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks, man. I appreciate the clarification. How's that new 10?
  15. lethal! I am in love and trying to prove worthy of such a spectacular instrument!

from the woodshedding lows,

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    yeah...thought you'd be in the woodshed...she's a beaut, and even though I can't play a 10... color me green :D
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have and play a Dean 10 stringer...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. you got another 10 string??
  19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My Dean Rhapsody 12 and my 8 string Bich.