Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, anyone tried the new Ampeg Scrambler yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mitchell Royce, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Well, last time we've discussed these they weren't out yet. Now they're here and I'm wondering if their worth their rather large price tag(they go for just under 300 euros here). Has anyone got a chance to try them out, or even better, has anyone got sound samples? Any comments, thoughts or opinions?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    How can I try it if I haven't even HEARD of it???

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  4. Dang, I had no idea Ampeg would reissue this thing! Wanted one for years, but only 2000 or so were originally built. :bawl:

See tonepad.com for a nice, long MP3 of the original. It is *not* a subtle effect, although I think it can be tamed into Big Muff territory. When the fuzz is turned up, the transistors (germanium?) get totally overwhelmed and you get this great "splat" thing going on...for guitar, anyway. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like on bass. :bassist:

I built a Maestro Bass Brassmaster a couple years ago--that's a similar fuzz, except it octaves more and "splats" less. More of the 70's silicon sounds than the 60's germanium sound.