1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

..So are the Shure SM58 and SM57 really that rugged and dependable ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005

TheReceder, Jason Hollar, ahc and 3 others like this.
  2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    In my experience with 58s yes.

rtav likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I was gonna say they are pretty much bulletproof, but...

staurosjohn likes this.
  4. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes

mexicant and Clutchcargo like this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    There's a reason these are industry standard. I had one with a dented grill from bring dropped from a serious height, but that's the only real damage I've ever seen on one, and it still worked just fine. I never shot mine with a .22 though.

rtav likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have a couple of each that have been used regularly since before my son was born, and he is in college.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  7. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Sometimes, I love the Internet.

8. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    [sigh]

Nev375 and saabfender like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

fun(ny) stuff! :laugh:

10. xroads64

xroads64 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2004
    San Antonio
    derp:rollno:

filmtex likes this.
  11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I’ve been using the same SM58 since 1987. It is the oldest item in my gig bag by a good 20 years.

BEADG63, Bassbubble11 and LBS-bass like this.
  12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    dynamic mics are generally more abuse-proof than condenser. they're passive and simple.
    I'd not say, this applies only to Shure, but I've seen some abused Shure mics as well (like rusted but working).

and yes, myself I own a condenser that stopped working after just a couple of drops (and to some degree it was fixed by local tech).

13. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    My girlfriend gets tired when we're watching TV and some big concert is showing I scream "See, an SM58 !! $99 dollars!"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    :roflmao: I've been using the same sm57 since 1991. Never a problem.
    Gotta get one of those "mic dogs" to retrieve it when I misplace it! Yep, the Internet is amazing.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  15. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Yes

16. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    58's are tough, have seen many 57's get the capsule knocked off. I was a sound tech for most of my life and have owned 100's of mics. Used many 58's for vocals and 57's for everything else. Dented 58's can be popped back out with a broom handle.

TheReceder, filmtex, eJake and 3 others like this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I don't use anything else. That's all.

filmtex likes this.
  18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Not only are they dependable- they are also predictable. That makes them quick and easy to set up and typically get a good sound out of. the SM58 is kind of the P bass of the mic world IMO. there are other options, and maybe even better options, but the sound you hear in your head likely came from one of the standards. just my .02

19. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    ^^^ Agree completely.

I know my p.a. I can set it up, set the eq, and get a reasonably good sound without once turning it on for a sound check. I know what they will do. What I don't know is how long they will do this. My oldest SM58 is early 1990's, and it is used around four times a month even today.

Every microphone you look at in a music store will be compared to the SM58 or 57. And the sales guy will show you how the Brand X mic is "better." After hearing a hundred sales pitches, I went with the one they always compared it to.

20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I've got a 58 I owned since 1976. Still works great, been dropped numerous times. Just bashed the grill back out to get it close to being round. I finally replaced the grill just because I'd opted to start to grow a new strain of bacteria in the pop suppressor foam.