So...Are you a creative person

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Yes, I agree to surrender my power of attorney and my entire estate to Will

0 vote(s)
  2. No, I think Will really DOES deserve all my money so he can buy a cute little Welsh Corgi

3 vote(s)
  3. Spider-Sense....tinging...

2 vote(s)
  4. ...Blast! I left the stove on! My carrots are all burnt!

5 vote(s)
  1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Heya everyone.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the theory (is it a theroy) that states that the left and right sides of the brain each specialize in certain tasks (the left with quantifiable events, and the right with more abstract thoughts), and that one side is usually dominant over the other, resulting in some people being briliant mathematicians who have trouble drawing stick figures, and brilliant artists that have trouble paying the phone bill because they always cut them up into post-modern neo-expressionistic sculptures.

Anyway, my point is, while I don't think this theory is complete true, I was wondering how many of you bassists out there indulge in some other artistic activity. Does your love of music carry over to a love to paint, sculpt, or write?

I know some out there enjoy the mathematical aspect of music. My Jazz History teacher really enjoyed the harmonious nature of the mathematics of music, and for some others I know, it is the ultimate expression of the beauty of the order of the universe.

[/weird sentence constructions]

I enjoy writing a lot, though I haven't gotten as much of it done as I would like (college does that to you...) and I've been practicing my drawing a lot. I'm improving slowly...

Et tu?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Welsh Corgis are very cute, I've only met one though, however I have had much experience with the fictional, but very well animated, ein, from Cowboy Bebop. yea, that's a fine dog there.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I love to cook, and experiment with recipes. Does that count?

I always mow my lawn in a cool pattern. I steal ideas from major league parks tho, so I guess that isn't being creative. I like to make things out of wood.

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I enjoy quantum calculus. I find it liberating, and even sexy at times.
  5. Yep. just about everything I do is creative to some degree. I am always working with my hands. I have BFA in fine arts but hardly do much in the way of painting or drawing, but I do do other stuff like remodeling my house, building surfboards, cooking and gardening/landscaping to keep my creative itch happy.
    .oh yea I am left handed.

6. Mr. Hankey , I have made so many sculptures out of "crap". Is that what you were looking for ?
  7. [​IMG]
  8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm creating a sweater out of my belly-button lint. I also make starwars action figures out of all the boogers I pull from my nose! R2D2 is almost done! :D
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I dunno, I'm kinda in between. While I'm not very articulate in conversation (for some reason, it even spills over on online message boards), I've been told that some of my writing was brilliant. In high school, I was even accused of plagarism, not because of similarities to other work but because in all of his years teaching, he hadn't read anything that good...
    Alas, I really write exclusively for assignments, and I have less than a year of college left, so I'm sure my writing skill will go down the tubes. Ah, the perils of being lazy...

Anyway, I have no greater feeling of accomplishment as when I finish a long, hard set of math problems (even better if I get them right!)...go figure.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Have you mown "MAZ" into the middle of your lawn yet?
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA MAZ yet.....i am working up to that.....i perfected the P last year

12. well, the theory is definatly untrue. I am left handed (if you read the same theory book, they say lefties are more creative because they are "right-side dominant") to disprove the thoery, i refer you to me. I can't draw, i can't write and i can't sculpt. not only that, i can' t do math very well either. so which side of the brain am i using? probably neither. I use each side equally. 0% on both.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I dunno... I'm not the most creative musician in the world... I usually just listen to other people's stuff, and combine it with another line I heard or just alter it...

I'm not good at math... I cannot draw... but I do use big words on essays and have gotten accused of plagiarism.

so I dunno...
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am not creative. I just download the TAB.