1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So at school

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoomingBass, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Some people say the electric guitar is better than the bass. I don't let it get to me but I want some cards to play. So please give me reasons why the bass guitar is just as good, if, not better, than the regular guitar.

2. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Why are drums better than guitar, why are keyboards better than drums, why are apples better than oranges? Bass and guitar perform totally different functions in music. If you like playing guitar, play guitar. If you like bass, play bass. I play bass and trumpet, my daughter likes trombone, my wife played flute. Which is the best instrument? Depends on who you ask.

3. the key is to just get better at bass than anyone else is at guitar. Thats what I did.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Bass is where the power is.

Dudes will headbang to show appreciation for a guitar player. Chicks will shake their boo-tay's for the bass player. You make the call

5. James19

James19

Jun 16, 2009
    Aarhus, Denmark
    One of my reasons for playing bass rather than guitar in our band(I've played guitar on my own for 9 years prior to starting bass) is that, as was mentioned before, bass has a different role in a band than guitar does. It really suits me better to have the responsibility of working tight with the drummer and holding down the foundation of the music.

On a more superficial basis, it's also a nice feeling with more freedom when playing bass as opposed to guitar. With bass you can either do rootnotes(8ths or different rhythms) or you can play riffs or fills as long as it's tasteful and doesn't mess up the guitar parts. But with guitar, in my mind, you're either playing rhythm(chords) or lead and it never left me much space to really feel the music.

I'm sure you have your own reasons for loving bass, and I'm glad you don't take their comments personally. Personal preference can often turn into ignorance like they've displayed - guitar's only better for them because that's where their heads are at right now. You're a bassist - you're solid for everyone and I hope you're proud of that :)

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I use two 'cards'.
    1. Sticks and stones...
    2. Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah

7. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Rock is better than scissors.
    Scissors is better than paper.
    Paper is better than rock.

8. There is no better. There is only different.

You don't NEED cards to play, because the discussion is meaningless.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Shouldn't you be more worried about picking up girls?

10. Paper beats rock? Here, let me throw a rock and you defend yourself with paper.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    "Chicks don't dance to guitar solos."

12. excellent.:bassist:

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Dodge said rock and returns with papercut. papercut papercut. PAPERCUT!!!!!

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Is Pokemon still in fashion?

15. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    say "look up victor wooten, tell me what you think about him."

16. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    say your just jealous because my bass is bigger then your guitar.

17. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009

There. Fixed it for ya ;)

:D

18. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    One of the best points I've ever seen.

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1

every intrument is important.
    they are are blocks to build on top of.
    bass is the base musically speaking.

20. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Funny, I play bass and trumpet, too.

Anyway, I know instruments have different functions but there are dumb people who don't know crap about music and automatically say guitar is better than bass. I just want a point to stick it to them.
    (I also can't just play for them because I don't always get that chance to show off my rockin skillz :bassist: )