1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So Battle of the bands is in 3 days

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PurplePurple, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Some might remember my post about how I was looking for tips for the audition the next day because I had only known the part of the song that day. I also spoke of the other bassist that had poped up. They ended up trying him out and he indeed was a much better bassist, but he apparenly had an aura of evil about him so they went with me. We know our entire set and play it a few times every practice (basically every day). We were planing on doing a few things too make out set nice and rememberable.

We decided too tell the audience we where going too play everysong as one long song so clap at the end, not in one of the transfers. We figured this would keep it fast paced and exiting. It also makes us look extreemly good too be able too go from one time signature too another and from key too key.

We also decided too at the end of our last song (basically the last section of the one song) have out singer run back stage too a secret box filled with about 5-7 of our tee shirts which we would then throw too the audience. This would be exiting and we would gain some walking billbords and fans.

We already decided too literally go crazy. Where your body gets a mind of it's own and people in other non-exiting bands call you D***ce B*gs. This is fun for us and the audience. No one wants too see statues after all. I'm sure alot of you have had the preformance where at the end your legs are shaking and you can hardley walk with the euphoric bliss of your preformance. Yeah thats the way we plan on being like at the end.

We are playing all originals. Just because we dont like covers that much and even if covers do better at battle of the bands this is about getting out name out and playing a kick a** show, not winning a popularity contest.

So do you think it sounds good?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

OK..my take.

Telling the audience when to clap is lame. Let the applause fall where it may. There is nothing wrong with seamlessly going from one song to the next, but your audience is not retarded. They'll know when to clap if they are going to.

The Tshirt idea is fine. A lot of bands do that, especially in battle of the bands scenarios, but there is nothing wrong with free advertising. My band of old farts usually pass out Tshirts to the first dancers of the night. It's definitely NOT a battle of band situation though, since we are all about 30 years past those.

Moving to the music is fine. Being into the music is great. Pre planning to jump around and go crazy makes you a poser. Just do what feels right and don't allow it to take away from your performance or your playing.

I kind of thought a battle of the bands WAS about winning, but I like your attitude. In the long run, it IS much more important to get your name out and known as a good band.

3. Well I know that having forced jumps and things would be really dumb. I dont mean we would be like Fall Out Boy in pre-choriographed dance steps. I mean like in any of The Mars Voltas live videos. Of corse I plan on moving a bit more then our good buddy Juan.

Also, it turns out where just going too go straight into the song and let the audience know when too clap. We aren't planning on making personal introductions. The aunoncer is just going too say "and here is Pablo Dali".

Also we are going first so thats another reason we want too be fun.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not for nuthin' but, a battle for the bands is by definition, a popularity contest.

5. As I have posted in the past, playing for people is a marketing game and you are best served not deluding yourself into ultra-idealistic concepts that playing originals = integrity.

I am not anti-original, however I recognize the value of a carefully crafted set list filled with songs that are guarenteed to grab an audience by the feet and make them get up and move. Especially in a 'battle of the bands' situation where you are on for a short time and can put a 100% BANG into your show.

So, if your originals have that 'infectious groove' thing that people find hard to resist, good for you! Go for it and get em on their feet.

The bottom line is that you are the band, they are the crowd. The agreement is that the band entertains the crowd. Do whatever it takes to be the band!

Good luck!

6. Something that makes this battle of the bands extreemly different then most is the fact that there is no dancing alowed. Every audience member must be in there seats. Which is one of the reasons we dont want them too loose interest. This is a terrible arangement on the part of the school.

Our music is danceable, but we aren't trying too have every song we play 120bmp at 4/4 time so that people can line dance too them.

Mabey I am blinded by delusions of youth. I will always like the band who plays their own original material then the band that can play every ac/dc perfectly.

edit: And Bikertrash, we are well aware of the fact it is only a popularity contest. I did mention it in my op.

edit2: Also isn't the point of the battle of the bands too hear the best that bands can come up with? Why would someone go too a battle of the bands and be mad if they didn't play Freebird? It kind of seams too miss the point of it all if it is based on who covers the most recognizeable tunes.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing your own originals, especially if they are good. However, it is a fact of life... audiences like what they know and are familiar with. They will know cover songs of the appropriate genre. They won't know your originals. You are far more likely to "win", or "be popular" if the audience can relate to what you're doing. Have you considered maybe doing one or two of each?

8. We considerd it, but lack of time is a critical blow too planes of that sort. We only have about 15 minutes not including set up. Thanks for the advice though.

9. I'm glad that your band at very least decided to play originals. I personally cannot stand covers. Good luck.

10. It's starting in a few hours. We gave out shirts too our friends and they are whering them too the show instead of us throwing them out. This way no people that dont like us will get one and every person who gets one will actually like it.

We are all anxtious right now to get on stage. We had a few changes in the set, but we know the songs so well we can play each one perfectly. In one song that we completely modified I get too play mad fills. I am very glad about that.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey man.

My band just won my school's battle of the bands, so good luck!

Just be careful about other bands. There's a huge problem at my school right now. So just look out.

-Mark

12. Good luck my friend.

In regards to your performance, i would just do whatever the heck you like. Its your band and you want to get the crowd moving, do what it takes. This also proves that Personality > Skill is somewhat true.
    Well i must go to a band practice myself, so good luck once again.

13. Well it was amazing. We played perfectly. After the second song someone yelled "that bass player rips" so I yelled thank you. During the third song there is one part where i slap on my low b. I did it over theatricly just for the hell of it and got wild in the music, everyone focused on me and not anyone else. I didn't mean too take their attention.

We got 2nd. We figured we would befor.

Their is much talk of the "inane bass player who broke his thumb". I didnt brake my thumb at all, nor am i an insanely good bassist. I just had a good time and everyone reacted well.

14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Congratulations! Glad it went well.
    I just posted this in another thread, but I'll slap it in here as well.
    I always looked at those "battle of the bands" things as more of a business meeting. Take your business cards, meet everybody you can, hand out your card. That used to be my only chance to meet my fellow club warriors. I was too busy gigging to go out on nights off. Didn't want to, anyway. So go, play, schmooze like crazy, don't worry about contest results. The best band never wins, but handing out your phone number will do you some good.